Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

wiper blades speed malfunction

Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper blades speed malfunction

Sup TR,

for the past couple weeks have noticed that when i use my windshield wipers with the first speed (intermittent one, ie: 1 click down). they don't work.
When i use the 2nd speed, they work fine, and the last speed works fine too.

Any idea what/why this is so?

thanks for the input!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:08 AM
PbH

its an open in the first cicuit.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:42 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

yeah, mine do the same thing. just put some rain-x on there and call it a day. if the rain is too light to use either of your other settings the rain-x will take care of that for u
Old 04-14-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JH26
yeah, mine do the same thing. just put some rain-x on there and call it a day. if the rain is too light to use either of your other settings the rain-x will take care of that for u
yeah that's exactly what i've been doing Rain-X all! just need to re-apply relatively often so that it works like the commercial ... and also i got old/scrapped up windshield .

"its an open in the first circuit" --> So DIY fixeable or got to go to the local shop to get it done?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by PbH
its an open in the first cicuit.
how in the hell do you know that?

int. and high speed work, i would suspect the micu for a communication error.

what is the year and make of your car i can help you. Open in the first circut is the most cluesless guess ive ever heard.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:04 AM

honda Civic 92 Dx Hatch, abt 150 k on it.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:18 AM

ok then its a 92. 9/10 its the wiper switch that has a broken contact. But here is how you check it.

You know you have power to the fuse to the wiper switch because HI-INT. work. Next I would check the YEL/BLU wire that goes to the ICU(Intrgrated Contol unit) to the wiper switch itself. Turn the ING. ON. and check for continiuity between the 10pin wht connector under the dash fuse box that goes into the ICU.

If continiuty is present in the LO postion with the key on, make sure its on. Or you won't get a reading can miss diagnoise the wrong part. Anyways if its there I would suspect the ICU being faulty. Which rarely ive seen have faults. If you don't have continity, switch the wiper modes to HI and also try INT since those are the speeds that work just to kinda double check, you should have continuity present in those postions. Remember its a YEL/BLU wire that your checking.

And don't peirce the wires on the wire side of the connectors you can cause more problems later doing so.
If you have to get a fine needle and put in there and then connect the probes from your dvom to the needle.

Now a open could also be a fault if no continuity is present between that YEL/BLU wire which like i said 9/10 its the switch but I would kinda wiggle the YEL/BLU wire around under the dash or kinda move around some wires with my hand and while check continuity to make sure its not a break in the wire between the switch and the fuse box.

wow, seems kinda lengthy reading this to myself but its a quick check and will save you trouble in buying the wrong part.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:05 AM
PbH

Its a general guess, yes. I just dont have a diagram at home to help him any further :S I wish i had alldata or , shopkey it would be so nice. And rep for being so helpfiull, its nice to see people going the extra mile here Jag4.2Ls-type.

H.R.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:18 AM

thx tsx, great response! will look into it
Old 06-13-2007, 06:50 AM

wow.. 2months reply..lol