AC Wont blow cold!!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Wont blow cold!!

So I just put A/C back into to the car, this is what I put in brand new
New O-rings all of them
New Drier/Acumulator
New expansion valve

I am using a used compressor that is in good working order.

I went to my freinds shop to get the a/c vaccumed out and re-charged. When I vaccumed it out it went down to -30 and I vaccumed it for 30 minutes or so. checked to see after that if the pressure would rise but it didnt. Then I put 23oz of freon in the car I also added oil PAG46 and Dye to check for any leaks. The AC is not blowing cold. The clutch engages when I turn on the A/C I can hear it and I can also feel it while driving. The cold side line is cold and has water dripping from it and the hot side is hot. I also put new foam around all of the vents in my car so no air is leaking out. I have an aftermarket header and they are wrapped with DEI wrap. both of my pressures are are where they are supposed to be at.

Is there any ideas as to what I should check into? I am stumped.. I still need to check for leaks with the die I am going to buy an black light tonight and check.

(813) 523-0168 Sid
(813) 476-5383 Justin
Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 PM

what are the readings? And what did you use to check for a leak? I use a black light and special glasses to enhance the leak(s) if any. Did you check the evaporator for leaks? You said you replaced the exspansion vavle. Well the exspansion vavle in on the evaportator. Those copper lines bend easliy if you are not careful.

Also did you flush out all the lines when reinstalling a used system? You said your compressor operation is working like it should, did you check the shim adjustment on the clutch assembly. What about resistence to the feild coil?

If everything checks out, maybe a restriction in the condensor? Does the ac fan come on? But then you would have high head pressure. Go through the system and check for restrictions or drastic changes in tempatures using a laser temp pointer. Those work good for check restrictions in the line. I would think though if you had a restriction in the line you would have high head pressure? What you said though doesn't make sense. It should be blowing cold. What are you readings?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:50 PM

The pressures were good, the low pressure line was at 30 and the high pressure I cant remember but the AC tech said it was fine. I used the yellow glasses and the black light to check for leaks. I also took specail care not to kink the copper lines on the expansion valve. One of my problems I found out today was that my blender door was not set all the way on cold. The cable had popped off that controls it. I got the tempature down to 58 once I fixed that. I would like it to be colder if possible. Do you know how many ounces are supposed to be in my car?

(813) 523-0168 Sid
(813) 476-5383 Justin
Old 07-28-2006, 08:53 PM

I will check the shim adjustment. I think I heard the compressor grind while I turned it on while driving. The expansion valve I checked for leaks before the re-intall and all seemed to be good.

(813) 523-0168 Sid
(813) 476-5383 Justin
Old 07-28-2006, 09:12 PM

kilograms are what i go by. Should be around .60-.65 differnt cars or models have different specs. R12 systems that are converted usually use alot more air then a R134 system. I don't remember how to convert from kilograms to oz. Its easy I just forgot cause I hardly ever do it or have to.

I know my crx which is converted uses .90 KG. to were as like a newer car would probably use around .65KG. You will have to find out how much to put into your system. Sounds like your system is overcharged or clutch and feild coil needs to be checked or replaced.

Alot of variablies to will effect your temp. gauge readings in the car. Like when you test your ac on how cold it is. It needs to be inside a shaded area. BLower motor set to high and windows up some type of simulated air needs to face the condensor on the front of the car and recirulation mode needs to be set and the ac of course needs to be on. Let it run with everything set and windows up for about 15 mins to get your final results. Ambient tempature and depending on how hot it is outside will effect were you at as far as how cold is cold. Exsample if the ambient tempature is 90 you want to be about 40-45 degress. Your center vent temp should be coldest your two outside vents should be no more then a few degress differnce. But alot effects your inside temp. Your high side should be around 180-200ish. And low side pressure should be a 20-23. This would ideally be a good charge.

Defeintly check your shim adjustment! Sounds like though your going to need to replace the clutch and feild coil assembly. But shim it first. Its a used compressor. Who knows.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:19 PM

Also iam not sure but usually when I do ac work on a vehicle I rev the motor up to around 2500 rpms and the the pressure build and see where the low side shuts off and high side builds before the compressor turns back on. This give me a good idea were iam at on my charge and the perfromance of the ac system.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:41 PM

If everything u said is true. The most likely culprit is the heater valve is not adjusted or maybe not attached. Check With the car running and the valve shut off, touch the hose from the heater valve on both sides. ( after car has warmed up ). The hose closest to the firewall should NOT be hot at all. My guess from what u said is thats the problem. pm me if u need more help.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:08 PM

Thanks alot for the help, on my next day off I am going to check the clutch out. I have gotten the tempature down about 30-35 degrees just as you told me. I am pretty happy with that. I went to my freinds shop again and we started changing the amount of freon in the system and is helped alot. I will post again once I check out my clutch.

(813) 523-0168 Sid
(813) 476-5383 Justin