Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

They Say It's Not The Battery...?

Old 07-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Li-Neezy™

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They Say It's Not The Battery...?

I recently took my battery off and took it to autozone (had the headlight switch stuck on, killed the battery, everysince then been having a problem keeping the battery charged after tail lights killed the battery) and they said that the battery is good. Yet, everyday, I'm having to jump my car in order to go to work... I bought a new negative cable (other one was corroded from the inside) and then bought a lead adapter I guess you would call it to put on the positive since the connection was loose. So what is left other than the battery which tested fine.... I don't think it's the starter, because when it has juice, it starts right up. What else could this be... help please.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:23 PM

Have them do a complete charging system test. They do , do that don't they? Probably alternator. Also check for a parasitic draw. Shouldn't be more then 50mA. If it does start pulling one fuse at a time until you reach a desirable limit. Anything above 50mA will drain your battery.

When you go to test the charging system make sure you battery (if its dead now recharge it) fullly or acceptable.

Last edited by 1.6L; 07-14-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:55 PM

i would say it has to be your alternator if you keep getting the battery recharged, and it drains quickly. i work at advance auto parts, and i know that the little machine we bring outside to test the charging system is not accurate. i would say to pull your alternator, and take it inside for testing. the machine inside is very accurate, and will show you how many amps the alternator is putting out, and how much it should put out.

hope this helps ya out.

Most recent: 88' B16 Turbo CRX: Totaled

PM me if you know me!
Old 07-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Rockin' 4 more Cylinders

yeah man , just have them check the alternator.

_Jake D
Old 07-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Li-Neezy™

Thanks, I'll have to do that first thing that way I don't have to keep popping my clutch leaving work. (black guy pushing/running after a car, jumping in and speeding off isn't exactly what your security guard wants to see during the late night shift)

Also, got another question with my TEG, I noticed that the outside on the right side doesn't light up on the taillights (outtermost) and also on the front bumper lights far right (passenger side i'm talking about) all the rest of the tail light lights up and the front right inner most on the front's work. Any clue which fuse controls these?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:40 PM

check the bulbs, as far as fuses, there is a diagram on the fuse lid. Underdash is wear this is located. On driverside. Check fuses though first. And always Right is always reffering to Passenger side like you said. Left side would be driverside. If both are good. My guess would be a broken wire or bad terminal fit, connector maybe. While your checking the bulbs turn your lights on and jiggle and tug on the wire or tap it see if you have a loose fit or pretty much see if it comes on.

Last edited by 1.6L; 07-14-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:54 AM

get a new battery, autozone sucks at checking batteries. I took mine there a while back, they checked it and said it was good ( i knew it wasn'). I went accross the street to napa, they checked it and said it was bad. I got a new one, problem solved. My friend had the same experience with his mercedes. He had came back from lunch one day and said he took the batt to auto zone and they told him it was good. I said dude get a new battery(i had already checked his car out). He bought a new battery, problem solved.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:20 AM
Li-Neezy™

Deep down I was thinking it's the battery but everyone is telling me to keep buying other stuff, terminal cables and al this other crap. Thanks for the help here guys.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:15 AM

the battery testing machine at autozone is accurate but the employees arnt always well informed as to a good or bad test....i know because i work there. watch em do a aload test it should be 12.4 volts or higher before the test.....and with the load on it it shouldnt drop below 10.7 or even close to 10.7 if its a good battery it should drop to low 11's
Old 07-15-2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kamikaze
Thanks, I'll have to do that first thing that way I don't have to keep popping my clutch leaving work. (black guy pushing/running after a car, jumping in and speeding off isn't exactly what your security guard wants to see during the late night shift)