Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

91 Crx Si grey smoke out exhaust pipe

Old 07-10-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Crx Si grey smoke out exhaust pipe

Just swapped engines.Current engine has 80-90 thousand miles on it.Ive noticed grey smoke out of exhuast pipe every once in a while.What should i do about it??Its the original d series engine.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda Gear Head

Running lean is what i am thinking.. When does it occur?..
Old 07-10-2006, 10:46 AM
window shopper

+1

Old 07-11-2006, 10:03 AM

its happens randomly.smoke is coming out after i leave from a stop.the car does not smoke any other way.it doesnt happen every stop either.i drive everyday and only noticed it a handful of times.ah the car also studders sometimes in low gear from a stop.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda Gear Head

The low gear studder could be that your letting the car stay in gear at 2nd or higher and going into low RPM's and trying to hit the gas and letting that gear you were in pick up the speed and it jerks, down shift when slowing or pop the shifter into neutral. If thats not why, then you have a disk shaped part on your intake manifold, which is called a Kicker and if it's messed up, then it will allow to jerk like that if persay partially clogged or restricted from the flow needed to pass through. The grey smoke coming out of your tail pipe when coming from a stop is infact your motor running a little lean. I say a little because it doesn't happen often as you said. It is running lean because within your combustion chamber, your burning more air than fuel within your compression ratio at certain times. It might be do to your motor probably gots a Cold air intake that is top dollar and is recieving large amounts of air, because from the stops your launching off or something, you might just need to clean out your injectors and see what happens, because you can probably running lean because your injectors aren't allow the amounts of fuel needed to process through. This should be help to you. LMK if anything else.