Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

I may not have Spun a bearing?

Old 06-10-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I may not have Spun a bearing?

I thought i had spun a bearing in my z6 because of the noise that was comming from the motor after ripping it in 2nd up to only 6k. Below are clips of the sound that i thought was a spun bearing.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=MVI_0765.flv

*fast forward to today*
I pulled the motor out and seperated the tranny from it. I got a new clutch so i started taking the old one out. When i went loosen the flywheel i noticed it was sticking out a bit, not alot but noticable that you can tell that the bolt was loose.

Before I loosened it any further i kind of gave it a lil shake and noticed the flywheel was loose and all the bolts but 1 jiggled. I then by hand loosened every bolt except the one that didnt jiggle.

This leads me to believe that the noise i was hearing was a loose flywheel. Its not normal to be able to loosen the flywheel bolts by hand is it? If that is the case then i guess ill save the money for bearings and just get a lightened flywheel to replace the OEM one.

ok now im just rambling, but the question is what is the possiblity that was the problem? i dont want to put the motor back in and then realize it wasnt it. I also dont want to tear the block apart only to find that nothing was wrong internally.

Thanks in advanced,

Mondo

*ps* check engine light is a code 9 *cyl position sensor* which i think is just wiring in my harness since its a new distributor.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:40 AM

i had the exact same thing happen its your flywheel being loose that made that noise
Old 06-10-2006, 08:48 AM

sweet then, any pros or cons on using a 8lb flywheel compared to regular oem one?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:18 AM
aka The Twanksta!

Yep, thats a very common thing to happen. You got lucky! kinda...do you already have the 8lb flywheel or just thinking about purcahsing one? If you have it, use it. You will probably like it, BUt, if you havent purcahsed one yet try to get one in the 11-12lb area, its a lil easier for the daily driver.

Visit Our Site - Presidential Automotive Detailing
Authorized CQuartz FINEST Installer
Old 06-10-2006, 09:20 AM

nah dont have one yet but i seen some fidanza ones for 140 shipped. Got any links for the 12lb ones?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:24 AM

12 pounds are good feels like you loose torque if you use the 8 pound one
Old 06-10-2006, 09:33 AM
aka The Twanksta!

competition clutch makes a 11-12lb fylwheel. Thats what i have...not installed yet though.

Visit Our Site - Presidential Automotive Detailing
Authorized CQuartz FINEST Installer
Old 06-10-2006, 09:40 AM
That ginger...

Yea go with the 12lb, if you go TOO lite you will have an enormous rpm drop while shifting
Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 AM
That ginger...

PS - You might wanna drop the oil pan, block guard and oil pump pick-up anyway. Just grab the rod caps and try to shake them up and down, if they do, you have a spun bearing. I would do it just to double check to be sure.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinS13SR20
PS - You might wanna drop the oil pan, block guard and oil pump pick-up anyway. Just grab the rod caps and try to shake them up and down, if they do, you have a spun bearing. I would do it just to double check to be sure.
i will do that, i pulled the pan not to long ago so its still lose so ill jsut remove and give it a tug