Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

i cant win...

Old 05-16-2006, 06:26 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i cant win...

so i get the whole not starting thing figured out and im happy. so today on my way to work i notice that my shifter has a lot of play in it for some reason. its still working, but there is a ton of play while in neutral. so then about 2 miles down the road i go to shift into 5th and get nothing but third and there is a ton of movement in the linkage. i can not get anything other than 3rd and 4th. so i have to drive all the way to work(i was way late yesterday and couldnt go back home to try and figure it out) in 3rd and 4th, which wouldnt be bad, but there are a ton of traffic lights on the way.

so im thinking that i lost the retaining clip that goes around the spring pin, but anyone else have any ideas?
the shifter itself is very stable as far as i cant pull up or push down on it, so i think the stabilizer rod is fine.
when i move it forward and backward it does go from 3rd to 4th and back, so i think the spring pin is still in there.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:19 AM
UF Mech/Aero Eng

uh, first thing you need to do is simply look under the car, and determine if the spring pin is in there. then, check for loose bolts/nuts on both the shifter assembly and the transmission side. if everything outside the trans checks out, then u done fucked somethin up inside.

GL with that.

University of Florida Gators - '06 NCAA Basketball & Football - '07 NCAA Basketball
Old 05-16-2006, 09:33 AM
That ginger...

^ What he said +1
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

im thinking that since i can still move the shifter forwards and backwards and it changes gears that the pin is still there, but the clip that covers it also keeps the collar centered on it, so without the clip, the collar can spin a bit.
this is all speculation though. its pouring and im at work, so i cant get under it to check it out. hopefully by the time i get off it will have stopped raining.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 AM
UF Mech/Aero Eng

ive noticed in the 15 or so times that ive pulled linkages off transmissions that they tend to stick onto the shift rod that enters the trans. so it might actually be possible that the pin is out, and the forward/reverse motion is causing the shifter rod to move, but when u go to the 1st/2nd or 5th/reverse slots, the linkage just spins. if nothing else, drop a damn bolt in there till you can get a new pin, but i think autoway honda stocks em....

otherwise, i hope that is the problem you find. cuz if the pin IS in there, you have a bigger prob on your hands....

University of Florida Gators - '06 NCAA Basketball & Football - '07 NCAA Basketball
Old 05-16-2006, 11:26 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

thanks. yeah im hoping its somthing simple and not something nasty/expensive.
its stopped raining now, so hopefully it stays that way the rest of the day. i will let you know what i find once i get under it.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM
UF Mech/Aero Eng

cool man. i got my fingers crossed for ya...

i also got a spare trans Y7 trans if need be

Old 05-16-2006, 12:16 PM
smokes weed...everyday.

and you might as well change your clutch now too. im pretty sure you pwned it with those 3rd gear starts.

TR "Old Skool EF" Member #121(aka#420)
Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

lol... i never came to a complete stop
any place that i would have to, i hung a right at the light and then did a u-turn and went right back onto the road i had to go down. thankfully i dont have to make any left turns on my way to work!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:26 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

it was the stupid freakin bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage. bastards! i just checked it on saturday when i was rotating my tires. all but one of the washers is gone and the nut is gone. looks like my skunk2 short shifter is getting some home depot upgrages... lol. what a p.i.a.