Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

ls/vtec or b16a2

Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Ray
Befürchten Sie Meinen Zor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls/vtec or b16a2

which would be better to get for turbo and just a simple set up...nothing fancy....just something decent...thanks
Don Lucchesi: Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM

The b16a2 would be the more simple route. A ls/vtec will be costly to do right.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM

b16
Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda Gear Head

LS/Vtec is more costly to do right, but results in more power over the B16a but the B16a is cheaper and can be bought together and then turbo added where you would have to get a Ls then drop either a b16a head or GSR head on it to have your Ls/vtec and then add the turbo. If your gonna get turbo you minus well get the LS/Vtec to feel good about the power and look at the empty account later.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:15 AM

both blocks have proved to be capable of nearly the same power. the vtec head is key IMO if you plan on making high hp numbers
Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Jay
Janky

b16 will be easyer and more cost efective i beleive the ls/vtec would make more power.

http://jankycrew.com
Old 05-10-2006, 10:07 AM
addicted to boost

B16 dominates.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tightcivicexboii
LS/Vtec is more costly to do right, but results in more power over the B16a but the B16a is cheaper and can be bought together and then turbo added where you would have to get a Ls then drop either a b16a head or GSR head on it to have your Ls/vtec and then add the turbo. If your gonna get turbo you minus well get the LS/Vtec to feel good about the power and look at the empty account later.
What you are trying to say is Tourque, not horsepower. A turbocharged B16a has and can make the same hp figures as a turbo ls/vtec (although the ls/vtec will be more tourquey and can effecitvely cost as much as 2 or 3 B16a long blocks when built properly, with oem parts , money that can be better used to build up a nice b16a, or just getting a proper 1.8 DOHC VTEC - B18C1). The biggest reason for me to dislike the ls/vtec is the lower Rod to stroke ratio(when compared to the other two alternatives - b16 especially) effectively increasing your likely hood of throwing a rod, or rod knock at higher rpm's (among other things). My vote is for the B16a + turbo, if you are going to go ls/vtec turbo, it will be less expensive to go with a GSR (b18c1) swap as well as a turbo setup on top of that. By the way tightcivicexboii, are you aware of all that is involved with a ls/vtec swap (to be done properly) ? It goes beyond just a simple headswap. If you already have a LS longblock, and a shot b16a shortblock , then I would be able to see the reasoning behind the LS/VTEC fad. Otherwise it's a waste of money and full of headaches.

Last edited by EludeR; 05-10-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Honda Gear Head

I don't have a LS long block. I know it should be more diffcult and not just head swapping, but i wanted to choose the LS/VTec turbo because i seen it move and was amazed with it. I am as we speak swapping and gonna be driving on a mini-me swap for now and was gonna get LS and swap out my mini-me, try and sell it for a decent price since it's fairly built. Then get the necessary parts for my LS/VTec swap during the year and by like may of 07 i will be graduating and my graduation present will be turbo so i wanted to just drop the turbo on that, basically. But hey, i never seen it run against a B16 turbo and i know about the short rod to stroke ratio, but that can be altered if wanted. I'm not gonna be running all the time i might just go all motor N/A and just build without boost or spray.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
popeye built!

b16 has my vote

AAS...It's whats for dinner