Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Opinionated/Tech Question on MSD Digital 6 Plus

Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Equal Opportunity Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinionated/Tech Question on MSD Digital 6 Plus

I know I've heard of MSD 6A and 6AL's failing, but have you heard the same for Digital 6 plus? Maybe one of the boost guru's (qitstrn since you have a digi 7) may be able to chime in on this. I have a brand new Digital 6 plus, and a close friend wants to borrow it to have his car tuned and make a few runs tomorrow. I'm a little bit skeptical because what if it breaks for some odd reason, and the fact that it is a $300 item. Of course the old addage of, "you break it you bought it", will be in full effect, but would you do it for a buddy? I'm also a bit bothered because I bought it brand new for the fact that I did not want something already tampered with, so I would feel like I spent the Full price money for no reason. Discuss. Sorry if this is not tech enough mods, but I've seen worse and it entails a tech related dilemma.
JDM Hater #001 PITBULL, "the most diabolical JDM/all around HATER"
It's not that the JDM itself is bad. When everything is JDM, When you think you're JDM, When your US car is JDM cause of your taillights. When YOU are JDM. YOU are GAY!

Originally Posted by JAVIELITO
limpio as fukk
Old 01-26-2006, 02:10 PM

Why doesnt your "friend" run oem ignition ?
The oem ignition system works great for most applications.

I would simply sell him the unit for what you paid for it, then run oem ignition w/ at the most an external coil (depending on whp goals etc)

Authorized Dealer & Tuner for: Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, AEM, Crome, Precision Turbo, Omni Power, Walbro, Innovate & more. Dyno Tuning Services, Ecu Chipping, Chipped Ecus, Conversion Harnesses, Widebands, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps, Map Sensors & more.
For more information visit http://www.Phearable.net or call 1-888-236-9831
Old 01-26-2006, 02:18 PM
VOD
Field Rep

Originally Posted by mtber
Why doesnt your "friend" run oem ignition ?

I would simply sell him the unit for what you paid for it, then run oem ignition w/ at the most an external coil (depending on whp goals etc)

thats good to know i was going to buy a full msd set up but i wanst sure of what more it would do for me then oem...i guess ill use the $$ else where
Old 01-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Spent more money than you

my sentiments exactly. I haven't "heard" of anyone running into problems with the OEM until they get like 450whp+

Racing Integration
LHT Performance
My tuner is named Alpha
Roque Fab = The best Fabricator in the WHOLE WORLD

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fucking temperamental.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Equal Opportunity Hater

Originally Posted by The Spectacle
my sentiments exactly. I haven't "heard" of anyone running into problems with the OEM until they get like 450whp+
Well that is the thing, I'm looking to make upwards of 450whp on my SOHC VTEC TURBO build. I'd feel more comfortable with the digital 6 plus, and my tuner recommends it. I don't think im going to let him borrow it. Suppose he breaks my shit, or after I get it back it takes a shit on me (probably won't but worse case scenario). Thanks for the input.
JDM Hater #001 PITBULL, "the most diabolical JDM/all around HATER"
It's not that the JDM itself is bad. When everything is JDM, When you think you're JDM, When your US car is JDM cause of your taillights. When YOU are JDM. YOU are GAY!

Originally Posted by JAVIELITO
limpio as fukk
Old 01-26-2006, 04:06 PM
EFI Tech/Tuner

OEM Honda ignitions are capable of supporting 600HP I know a few people have taken them higher but If thats what you are aiming for I would look into an external coil.. other than that the OEM unit will work fine.. I have ran into more problems with aftermarket ignitions when it comes to tuning more than a few times, and the issue is diffrent every time... Some people like the added features you get with aftermarket ignition setups like nitrous timing control, 2 set rev control, and ect... The MSD 7 series are the shizzle but again OEM can get the job done.. Just remember that most EMS on the market that are good have rev controls and 2 steps and such soooo, I wouls sell it to him and spend the money elseware.. its up to you... Good Luck...
EFI-101 Certified
(941)628-4988
Old 01-26-2006, 04:35 PM

Stop playing games & just run individual coil packs w/ motec

Authorized Dealer & Tuner for: Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, AEM, Crome, Precision Turbo, Omni Power, Walbro, Innovate & more. Dyno Tuning Services, Ecu Chipping, Chipped Ecus, Conversion Harnesses, Widebands, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps, Map Sensors & more.
For more information visit http://www.Phearable.net or call 1-888-236-9831
Old 01-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Rockin' 4 more Cylinders

Stop playing games & just run individual coil packs w/ motec

+1 or haltec.

on a more serious note, IMO , the msd is overrated, BUT you can use the 2 step w/ the MSD ...i dont know of anyother way to get a msd 2 step control to work on a honda.....

_Jake D
Old 01-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Engineer at the source

Originally Posted by Blown99civicSi
OEM Honda ignitions are capable of supporting 600HP I know a few people have taken them higher but If thats what you are aiming for I would look into an external coil.. other than that the OEM unit will work fine.. I have ran into more problems with aftermarket ignitions when it comes to tuning more than a few times, and the issue is diffrent every time... Some people like the added features you get with aftermarket ignition setups like nitrous timing control, 2 set rev control, and ect... The MSD 7 series are the shizzle but again OEM can get the job done.. Just remember that most EMS on the market that are good have rev controls and 2 steps and such soooo, I wouls sell it to him and spend the money elseware.. its up to you... Good Luck...
So you are still alive. You may have missed your chance to throw down.

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/h...14-suckas.html

9.69@151 Street Car
JKOBD
Old 01-27-2006, 03:22 PM
EFI Tech/Tuner

Originally Posted by 60-1EK
So you are still alive. You may have missed your chance to throw down.

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/h...14-suckas.html
Yea, Im still here. I have been having a shitty new year so far, and its kept me sooo busy busy busy. But, I will have to see If I can still get a spot some how some way and throw her on the dyno again and turn it up up up!!!.. Other than that thanks for reminding me. I will try my best to show up and have a great time with you guys/gals
EFI-101 Certified
(941)628-4988