Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Need Information!

Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Information!

My son did a B16a swap in his Civic hatch. After install, we discover that vtec wont engage due to "Oil pressure?", as in POS head. We bought a GSR B18 head w/ cam gears, ITR intake, etc. When questioning about what cams to use, he was told that this head would not flow as much as the B16 or make the power. Now he feels that he has wasted more money and has no idea what to do. My question is this: Is this head a waste of time or are these people blowing smoke up his skirt?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:45 PM

b16 has better flow (5.25%) and b18c has higher comp. i believe
if you port the gsr head it will make more power then a b16 due to it being chamber welded from factory (smaller chambers)

he is on the right track but its more a matter of preferance... either head will still make power

do you still have the b16 head? i will buy it off of you as long as its not in two pieces

Last edited by integrex; 01-18-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 PM

Thanks. He is at work and will pass this on to him. Another forum was causing him to think that he was loosing so much power that he may as well have kept his D15! I will keep you posted on the old head.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Engineer at the source

Originally Posted by Silver2002
Thanks. He is at work and will pass this on to him. Another forum was causing him to think that he was loosing so much power that he may as well have kept his D15! I will keep you posted on the old head.
Send me the link to this forum please.

9.69@151 Street Car
JKOBD
Old 01-18-2006, 05:44 PM

Please excuse my literary licence on this. They were trying to tell him that the b16 makes 160 hp, and the b18 makes 170 hp. They then made the assumption that if the b16 makes 100 hp per liter and the b18 doesn't, that the supposed 10 hp loss is due to the head. They then went on to tell him that they were not real sure about this as they had never really looked into the b series because they were for those with money to burn. We look for information on these things as we are just getting into this, then unfortunately we bfinf that there are a lot people who have time to type but know not of what they are saying. The site is superhonda. com, civics, cams. In case you havent figured it out yet, I'm new to this forum stuff. Will try to get better at it. Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 05:54 PM

yea people talk a lot.......throw the head on and go have fun....keep me posted on the b16 head though i need one for my ls/vtec build....
Old 01-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Spent more money than you

Please excuse my literary licence on this. They were trying to tell him that the b16 makes 160 hp, and the b18 makes 170 hp. They then made the assumption that if the b16 makes 100 hp per liter and the b18 doesn't, that the supposed 10 hp loss is due to the head. They then went on to tell him that they were not real sure about this as they had never really looked into the b series because they were for those with money to burn. We look for information on these things as we are just getting into this, then unfortunately we bfinf that there are a lot people who have time to type but know not of what they are saying. The site is superhonda. com, civics, cams. In case you havent figured it out yet, I'm new to this forum stuff. Will try to get better at it. Thanks
I'd stay away from that site with mis-information being given out like that...

Racing Integration
LHT Performance
My tuner is named Alpha
Roque Fab = The best Fabricator in the WHOLE WORLD

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fucking temperamental.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:11 AM
Cool Runnings

i think why the gsr makes more hp than a b-16 is due to the longer stroke!

She can pop it she can lock it ........ I'M IN LOVE WITH A HONDA

R.I.P. DELROY MANDERSON SR. 1-30-73 ~ 9-19-02

THE FEW
THE STRONG
THE BRAVE
NATURALLY ASPIRATED

TR "OLD SKOOL EF MEMBER" #05
Old 01-19-2006, 04:49 AM
Spent more money than you

Originally Posted by Old Renegade
i think why the gsr makes more hp than a b-16 is due to the longer stroke!
and a little more displacement

Racing Integration
LHT Performance
My tuner is named Alpha
Roque Fab = The best Fabricator in the WHOLE WORLD

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fucking temperamental.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:41 AM

integrex as far as i know the B16's rockers are whats not allowing vtec to ingage, thats what LHT told me, but there not sure if theres more to the problem or not. do you know of a good place to do the PnP work in the greater tampa bay area with a flowbench. once i get this work done the head will be up for grabs, some parts i dod need like those metal runners that hold the cams down. is it just the head you want?

heres the link if you guys havent seen it
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265299