Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

EGR help

Old 01-06-2006, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR help

ok i have a 96 civic 1.6 non vtec, my check engine keeps coming on and its the EGR valve needs to be cleaned...i was told to spray TB cleaner in my intake, will this work or will i have to take out the EGR and clean it that way? any help would be great...
Old 01-06-2006, 04:58 PM
slash

you could try that. around model yr 2000, many ford truck owners had (maybe they still do) that issue and thats what they were being told to do to correct it, spray 1-2 cans. i've never had any compliants saying it messed anything up. id start out trying half a can and see how that works. id recommend the valvoline synthetic stuff, it seems to work the best.
TRick Squad Member #3
VicPrez of IttyBittyTittyCommittee

Old 01-06-2006, 05:46 PM

on crack?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:09 PM

ttt
Old 01-07-2006, 03:42 PM
That ginger...

Alright man buy some SeaFoam. It is a cleaner that is used in marine engines to clean out salt deposits. Suck it up thru a strong vacuum line. Suck in a decent amount, 1/4 of a can, then let it suck it up rapidly to kill the engine. Let it sit for say 20-30 minutes then start it up and let it idle. It will be tough to start but it will. It'll smoke like a bitch but it will clean it out and this should resolve your problem. PS the smoking will go away

-Joe
Old 01-07-2006, 05:23 PM
i stepped on my weiner!

96 civics dont have EGR valves, you sure you read the code right? preludes and accords have them

10.02@149.5 Bullseye Power Turbos
Top Dead Center Performance
Mobile Alabama 251 661 6067
owner/operator
www.tdcperformance.net
Old 01-07-2006, 05:41 PM

well here is the full story...when im driving and get on it hard, the check engine light comes on, well since i used to work at auto zone i checked it and it said something like the emmission control is low bank one...and i was told when i worked there its my O2 sensor, then i had it checked a few days ago and the guy told me its the EGR valve is dirty...i didnt think there was one on it b/c i didnt see one but there is a plug in my throttle body that kind alooks like one but is plastic so i wasnt too sure or not.. but i figured i would try and ask and hope i wouldnt get a bunch of smartass' saying stupid stuff (there are very few people that actually help inform others) but anyway...thats what happens..and when i earase it it takes a while to come back on unless im racing someone or just giving it hell...
Old 01-07-2006, 07:09 PM
i stepped on my weiner!

bank one emissions would be an O2 sensor, the thing on your throttle body is a MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure sensor) and that measure the amount of pressure coming into the manifold, really the decreasin amount of vaccum and comes up with a fuel mixture amount to deliver to the engine.

i really dont like the OBDII code scanners aut parts stores use, i havent had much luck with them, the honda unit is far more accurate in delivering CEL codes

10.02@149.5 Bullseye Power Turbos
Top Dead Center Performance
Mobile Alabama 251 661 6067
owner/operator
www.tdcperformance.net
Old 01-08-2006, 07:12 AM

see thats what i was thinking about the O2 sensor but then that guy said that and when i took off my intake and looked into the intake manifold it was black..but like i said i didntsee the normal EGRso i figured that the other blak piee was it...but ill try checking the O2 thanks for the help and not being a dick about it...