Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

There goes my $800 turbo

Old 11-06-2005, 04:32 PM
EFI Tech/Tuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry There goes my $800 turbo

Errrr, now im pissed, did a few leakdown tests today on my intercooler pipes and intake track, and took my filter of my PTE SC60 snail, fix a few small leaks and went for a test ride around the block w/out my filter (have done many times at the track and such). I hear a loud whistling sound comming from the turbo,(not a normal whine) and shut the car down. pop the hood to find one of my unused A/C plugs(connector?) got sucked into my turbo. it was not jammed in but when I pulled it out it was chopped in half. ran my finger on the blades to find 1 blade that has been bent and slightly chipped Fu*# SH^@ mother F*%$er now I have to rebuild this BRAND new turbo BS BS BS BS BS BS BS.. all because I was impatient and didnt throw the filter back on BS BS BS BS BS BS . The funny thing about all this is that I called Precission Turbo last week and was discusing a Ball-Bearing upgrade for the turbo. So now it looks like thats the way im going to go, NOT that I have a choice or anything The turbo still boosts right at 15PSI but I run this turbo at the track at over 24PSI and I know the bent fin will hinder my power levels let alone my peice of mind.. I am one of those people that think, even though its working I know its not right. The only problem with ll this is I just lost my J..O..B and am FLAT broke, have a KID a wife who doesnt like my car to begin with and oh did I mention I was BROKE.. Anyway, the moral to this story kids is.. DONT half ass things or rush a job, because in the long run something bad will happen, The worst part about this whole thing is I ALWAYS ALWAYS take my time, check things over 2-3 times B4 calling a job done, and look what happens the ONE time i dont follow the rules......... ehh Fuck Em.. Sorry for the long post, I had to vent some how some way. thanks for listening
(like you had a choice)
EFI-101 Certified
(941)628-4988
Old 11-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Can you spot me 20 cars?

The turbo can be fixed and it is cheaper then buying a new one. The only time i run without a filter is at the track and that is not a good idea. Only reason is i dont have a choice because of restrictions. I would call precision and see what they say. They are very good about fixing turbos. Let it be a lesson. Dont feel bad many people do the same thing.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:55 PM

Time for a ball bearing SC60 They can be had brand new for $800.00
* IP Web-Site

* RIP Kevin/Slo_Si RIP & Pablo/Fathead
Old 11-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Retired Ricer...

Sorry to hear dude Stuff like that always happens at the worst times... But regardless, we live and learn....

www.facebook.com/chris.storck1
Project WHIPLASH has begun!!!
RacingIntegration.com (813)935-6720
InductionPerformance.com
NS Racing (813)842-5517
Old 11-06-2005, 05:01 PM
EFI Tech/Tuner

Oh im not buying a new one, I was looking into making mine into a ball-bearing setup, PTE said It could be done for less than $400 which is close to the going rate to rebuild turbos these days, I would never get rid of this turbo, I LOVE it, just want it to spool a little faster. Yea, I NEVER run W/OUT a filter unless I am at the track and even then I have a mesh guard covering the inlet. but like I said just wanted to take a quick spin literally around my block(SMALL) and only made it 1000ft. oh well, lesson learned.

Looking at your Pic in your sig, my turbo sits about were yours does, (about 2 inches to the right and about 3 inches foward from were yours sits) I have to fight with it in order to get the filter to go on, and even after its on it doesnt go on all the way, enough to tighten the clamp down and hold iot, but it sits a little crooked. thats what we get for getting such big turbos hu?? oh well, you win some you lose some..
EFI-101 Certified
(941)628-4988
Old 11-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Retired Ricer...

You cant really tell in this pic, but my turbo inlet sits about 6 inches from the frame rail... Oh yeah, and there are power steering lines running right there too... It is a BITCH getting a filter off and on

www.facebook.com/chris.storck1
Project WHIPLASH has begun!!!
RacingIntegration.com (813)935-6720
InductionPerformance.com
NS Racing (813)842-5517
Old 11-06-2005, 05:40 PM
EFI Tech/Tuner

Bling Bling bra, I was thinking of coating my turbine side but havnt gottin to it yet. LOVE that mani. Gotta love those tight fits..
EFI-101 Certified
(941)628-4988
Old 11-06-2005, 05:46 PM
EFI Tech/Tuner

Tight Tight Tight...... you see how the filter is touching the frame??.........YEA! sorry for the big pic, tried to make it smaller???
EFI-101 Certified
(941)628-4988

Last edited by Blown99civicSi; 11-06-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:53 PM

Not too bad. MADEX had a DA Integra with a B series swap, equal length exhaust manifold and a T4 GT3767S

* IP Web-Site

* RIP Kevin/Slo_Si RIP & Pablo/Fathead
Old 11-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Can you spot me 20 cars?

Here are some examples of a solution. I went to Amazon hose and bought high temp hose that is used for Marine(Boat) exhausts. Thay make it in several styles and diameters. This is the best solution so you can relocate the air filter. I also started to use a HKS style(small green round one) air filter because of the compact size ans also it is foam. Foam breaths better then paper(k&N) but it does not filter as well as paper. That does not matter on a turbo. Hopefully this helps you.