Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

turbo question

Old 10-24-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo question

im turboing my stock b18b1 with a t3 60 trim and a performance shop told me i needed to change to an OBD1 ecu to have it chipped and tuned. they said i wont need a msd 6btm to retard timing and wont need a S-AFC because the chip programming will do what these things do. is this true or do i need them. also what psi can i safely run and what size injectors should i use.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
gadget man

you don't HAVE to go obd1, however it is highly reccommended. obd0 ecu's are a bit buggier when dealing with fmu's like hondata or crome, you can get a straight chip but with a turbo I'd get something that can be retuned easily. It is well worth the money to go obd1. as for injectors, that depends on how much boost ( don't forget the fuel pump needs an upgrade as well). You do not need the msd box as hondata and crome will retard the timing ( if needed) and change your fuel maps as neccessary...same goes for the safc, you don't need it and I don't reccomend it for a turbo'd motor. the stock b18 can handle up to 15psi with great tuning, 12psi with good tuning, but most people I have talked to don't push more than 10psi even with excellent tuning, this allows a buffer between max capable and what you are actually running.

your next ? may be what do I need for and obd1 conversion? you need obd1 dizzy ( vtec if the head is vtec) but the b18b1 is the ls motor ( if I remember right) so the non-vtec dizzy in your case. you need a 4 wire heated o2 sensor, an obd1 ecu that will run on your motor ( I believe the p28 will work but check with punkinterviews or mtber for sure) and last a conversion harness from jkobd.com this takes your cars stock harness and converts it to match the ecu, this avoids you having to hack your stock harness.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 10-24-2005, 07:06 PM

i assume this is in an obd-2 teg???? if so i dont think you need a new dizzy or 02 to convert to obd-1 just a conversion harness and ecu.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by kender
( I believe the p28 will work but check with punkinterviews or mtber for sure)
why use an expensive p28 when you can use any obd1 non-vtec ecu?all you need is a conversion harness and a chipped obd1 ecu. OBD2 and OBD1 dizzys have the same insides, just the plug is different. thats why you don't need the obd1 dizzy. Lenard gave you a card, just come down to the shop. I want to see your setup.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by zx6r_maniac
im turboing my stock b18b1 with a t3 60 trim and a performance shop told me i needed to change to an OBD1 ecu to have it chipped and tuned. they said i wont need a msd 6btm to retard timing and wont need a S-AFC because the chip programming will do what these things do. is this true or do i need them. also what psi can i safely run and what size injectors should i use.
This is what you need to be tuned on a obd1 system such as crome pro:
- Obd0 to obd0 conversion harness - http://boomslang.us or jkobd.com
- Chipped/socketed p75 or p06 obd1 ecu - http://phearable.net
- Obd1 or obd2 distributor & engine harness plug
- 440-550cc injectors (peak & hold)
- Street tuning
- Dyno tuning is also recommended

Check out http://www.phearable.net/tech/efibeginnerguide.html

If you plan on boosting over 10 psi I recommend getting a motorolla 2.5 bar map sensor.

- John Vega

Authorized Dealer & Tuner for: Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, AEM, Crome, Precision Turbo, Omni Power, Walbro, Innovate & more. Dyno Tuning Services, Ecu Chipping, Chipped Ecus, Conversion Harnesses, Widebands, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps, Map Sensors & more.
For more information visit http://www.Phearable.net or call 1-888-236-9831
Old 10-25-2005, 08:13 AM

^
|
|
|
Listen to him whatever he says is right