Old 10-19-2005, 06:17 AM
ROTM March 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16y8 CRX Swap (help)

Swapping d16y8 into my 90 crx.

Using my HF tranny.
1. can i use the d16y9 clutch and fly?
2. Which throwout do i use? y8 or HF?

As far as wiring. Vtec wires obviously need to be done.
1. can i just take the harness from my HF and put it on the y8 and swap the intake man sensor and the distributor? Or does something else need to be done?

I Use the HF mounts correct?

I need Different Hubs like from a DA?

Did some research online but saw different methods. Any help on this is much appreciated.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:07 PM
VALE TUDO!

hf trannys are garbage, get an si tranny. you can use your same hubs. are you going obd1? . what do you plan to do after the swap? you can use the hf mounts but to do your self a favor some d16 mounts. you are also going to need to hook up vtec and maybe get a dizzy depending on what obd you are planning on using.

Last edited by JUNIOR BACON; 10-19-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:25 PM

You should change to obd1 to use vtec correctly. Your missing the power when vtec engages. It will still come on and sound like its working right but because the ecu, you will not get the required fuel when vtec engages. Its more technical then that. Iam sure someone can explain it to you better. Iam tired.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:07 PM
clownin since 81'

dont waste your time with the HF tranny , your better off finding a SI tranny, you could also use a Si manifold keep it OBD0 and get a RPM activated relay for vtec , if you plan on swapping a b-series in later on down the road I would go ahead and upgrade the Hubs to 90-93 Integra of 88-91 Si and go forth in doing the obd1 wiring - goodluck www.honda-tech.com is your friend -James

Wiring is no hobby, call an Electrician.

myspace page

Last edited by CivicCrx21; 10-19-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:44 PM
ROTM March 2013

thanks for the info.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:36 AM
save the s.o.h.c

if you stay odb0 you can use your stock dizzy, wiring and injectors. keep they complete y8 longblock as it stands, that manifold is better than teh crx si. you will just have to put your injectors in it. your crx hf distributor is the same as the crx si distributor and will bolt up perfectly to the y8 head. you will need to run atleast a pm6 ecu. im not sure if the hf mounts are any different than teh crx si mounts (i think they are the same) but it doesnt hurt to get some prothan mount inserts. i wouldnt keep the hf tranny, i would atleast get a dx if you cant find a si. however if you do keep the hf tranny hubs would not be a issue because you will be using the stock axles. and as for the clutch, if you stay with the hf tranny it would probally be easier to just keep the stock hf flywheel clutch and t/o bearing. you could use a rpm activated switch. a vtec controller or you could go with the pr3 ecu to run vtec
Old 10-21-2005, 03:31 PM
smokes weed...everyday.

wow, that crx is gonna move once you get that swap.

TR "Old Skool EF" Member #121(aka#420)
Old 10-22-2005, 01:56 AM

i was gonna so the same setup to my crx but you could do several things "on how to activate your crx" one of them would be to run it off any lil switch , i agree with dippincrx about it would be better to get it activated off your rpms , how ever about your tranny plz go si way better gear ratios , way better than hf , how ever the dx tranny for some reason has a lil bit stronger 2nd , than the si tranny "dont know why ", i personally think you should just go obd1 and just swap the harness with a converter it will make you life way easier but it is a lil harder to find , a bit more pricy to , but remember pay the extra 10 if not it will bit you in the ass lata