Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Anyone know how to install an shift-light properly?help me out.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to install an shift-light properly?help me out.

i ahve an auto-meter pro shift-light comin and i need to know how hard/easy it is to install...thanks in advance.-Greg
Old 09-16-2004, 06:56 PM
gadget man

should be fairly straight forward, most likely red wire to either constant 12v or more likely to acc ( key on position) black to ground, and a third wire that taps into the rpm signal wire from your ecu. I have a razo shift light that is that easy. 3 wires.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 09-16-2004, 06:59 PM

im am dumb when it comes to woring or electronics...lol
Old 09-16-2004, 08:27 PM
More Boost>Traction

Dont go near your ecu for the connector, go to the drivers side engine compartment, look the corner for a junction connector, tap into the solid blue wire in it. If you have a voltmeter, you can back probe it, it will only have ac current. Its alot cleaner that way.
It is lame in the NPR/Hudson area, there are some crazy fast cars but no one comes out....we are on a "Racing" forum and all that comes to the hudson/mitchell rd. meets are like 4 cars that actually race, 32 spectators that follow everyone in there Geo's and 15 underage high school alcoholics.....
Old 09-17-2004, 04:15 AM
Cool Runnings

to hook your tach up i thought you get the reading from the blue wire from your dizzy at least thats how i got mine and it reads great.

She can pop it she can lock it ........ I'M IN LOVE WITH A HONDA

R.I.P. DELROY MANDERSON SR. 1-30-73 ~ 9-19-02

THE FEW
THE STRONG
THE BRAVE
NATURALLY ASPIRATED

TR "OLD SKOOL EF MEMBER" #05
Old 09-17-2004, 10:44 AM
More Boost>Traction

Originally posted by IAN
to hook your tach up i thought you get the reading from the blue wire from your dizzy at least thats how i got mine and it reads great.
where do you think the blue wire goes? to the junction connector on the drivers side firewall, then to tach inside of car.
It is lame in the NPR/Hudson area, there are some crazy fast cars but no one comes out....we are on a "Racing" forum and all that comes to the hudson/mitchell rd. meets are like 4 cars that actually race, 32 spectators that follow everyone in there Geo's and 15 underage high school alcoholics.....
Old 09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
USMC

i have the autometer shift light in my car, and have hooked them up on 3 other cars. it has three wires comming off of it,

red=(hook this up to your switched ignigtion, not constant 12v). when you get the shift light it will come with some little flat connectors. in my fuse box under the dash there are connections that fit the connector that it comes with, just plug it in. i used a pin light to see which ones had power when the key was turned to the acc position.

black=ground obviously, mine is hooked up to the frame under the dash.

green= this goes to the negative side of the distributor(usually a blue wire). on a couple of the cars i've done, i opened the distributor and hooked it up to the negative terminal. on the last two cars i did i bought this nice little connector that connects the wires without splicing them.
TR happily married crew-member #2

This is the internet. You're just supposed to talk up whatever you do know as if you're a salesman for it. i.e. I drive a Supra and a Corolla therefore 2JZ is the greatest and so is the 4A and I don't care about anything else because it's all crap since I don't have it. I also have a stack of $20 bills in front of me, therefore 20>50 and 20>100 and 20>1000. $20 bill FTW.

Last edited by accord95; 09-17-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Cool Runnings

welll my car did not come with a tach so i was just going by what was told to me and was just trying to relay the info, plus there is other stuff you got to do to make the tach work like which wire in the back of it to cut think it got to do with the pulse or something of the engine not sure but if you cut the wrong one it will not work right. you have to go according to your motor wether it be four, six, or eight cylinders. also got my tach light to come on only when i turn my lights on rather than it be on all the time.

THE FEW
THE STRONG
THE BRAVE
NATURALLY ASPIRATED

Last edited by IAN; 09-17-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:58 AM
USMC

Originally posted by IAN
welll my car did not come with a tach so i was just going by what was told to me and was just trying to relay the info, plus there is other stuff you got to do to make the tach work like which wire in the back of it to cut think it got to do with the pulse or something of the engine not sure but if you cut the wrong one it will not work right. you have to go according to your motor wether it be four, six, or eight cylinders.
yeah, but you dont have to worry about that crap on a shift light. the shift light only has three wires comming off of it.
TR happily married crew-member #2

This is the internet. You're just supposed to talk up whatever you do know as if you're a salesman for it. i.e. I drive a Supra and a Corolla therefore 2JZ is the greatest and so is the 4A and I don't care about anything else because it's all crap since I don't have it. I also have a stack of $20 bills in front of me, therefore 20>50 and 20>100 and 20>1000. $20 bill FTW.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Cool Runnings

i guess it depends on what brand of tach you get. mine has four wires(positive-red, negative-black, sender-green, then a white wire for the lights for the tach then two small wires that the instructions say you got to cut one if its a four cylinder. the small wires are brown and blue i think cut both for a v-8 brown for a six and the blue for a four. my tach is a autometer 5" monster tach phantom series with shift light.

THE FEW
THE STRONG
THE BRAVE
NATURALLY ASPIRATED