Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Replacing fuel pump already?

Old 07-12-2004, 04:18 PM
miss independent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing fuel pump already?

I have a 1997 Acura 3.5 RL and i love it dearly. It's actually a really good car. Never has had major problems.

cliffs notes- i was driving down the road and the accelerator, brake and steering wheel locked up, and the TCS light came on, and i pulled over, turned off my car. And when i started it back up it went fine, only for 5 mins and then locked up again, and after that it wouldn't start.

took it to Mahoney's and they said i needed a new fuel pump and are charging $600. Just recently the chevy s-10 needed a fuel pump. Is it just my luck with cars or do they really need fuel pumps changed rather often? The truck is a 2000!

If I wanted change, I'd go to the bank
McCain-Palin 2008
Old 07-12-2004, 04:41 PM
gadget man

the fuel pump shouldn't be going bad this soon, I have an 88 crx with the original pump and it is still goin strong. If it does happen to be a fuel pump do it yourself, the pump is about $100 on the web and depending on how your car is laid out you may not even have to drop the tank. spend $50 or so on the helm manual and save yourself hundreds. it only takes basic handtools and a halfway usable socket set to do. again if it is your pump, if your batters is strong and you get power to everything else it is either ignition ( spark ) or fuel. I'd check for good spark and make sure everything under your dizzy cap is good ( no cracks, or loose screws ) first. a buddy of mine had a similar problem and it ended up being a loose screw under the cap. If all that is good it may be your pump..... actually it may even be a clogged fuel filter.

to check the filter, make sure the power is off and pull the fuse for your pump, then disconnect the fuel hose from either the rail or the outlet of the filter, use a jug or something to catch the fuel, make sure you no open ignition sources. then have someone replace the pump fuse and turn the key to on NOT START. just on, the click before start. if you see a steady strong flow then your pump and filter are good, if no go to next step.

if no flow after filter turn car off and pull pump fuse, hook up the filter outlet fuel line and then disconnect the inlet, then check for fuel flow as listed above. if nothing there then either pump is bad or you have a clogged line ( probably the pump though ) if you have a good strong flow then you filter needs to be replaced.....get to autozone.

other than that i'd have to get more details to help further.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 07-12-2004, 04:54 PM
miss independent

thanks a bunch! that really helps

McCain-Palin 2008
Old 07-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Engineer at the source

600 for a new fuel pump install. I am in the wrong business.

9.69@151 Street Car
JKOBD
Old 07-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Landscape Engineer

Fuel pump for my 88 Camaro was estimated by my mechanic to be $400 and on Camaros you have to remove the entire rear suspension to get to the tank and then pull the tank out through the passenger side wheel well(difficult). Unless its harder than that, which I doubt, it shouldn't cost any more. It took me a full day to do myself, but it was well worth the effort. Just make sure that its the pump before going for it.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Landscape Engineer

Fuel pumps will last a LOT longer if you keep your tank above 50% full at all times. The reason they put the pump in the tank is to keep it cool, since its an electric motor. However, unless you regularly go from empty to only 1/4 tank the pump shouldn't go bad that fast.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:14 PM
miss independent

Originally posted by CamaroJoe
Just make sure that its the pump before going for it.
it's funny you say that because my dad said the same thing.. and btw went out and got a cheaper fuel pump himself to give to the people..

but i just found out 10 mins ago that it WASN'T the fuel pump, but a relay, and they have to ship it from Japan or somewhere, idk, but it won't be done til July 20th and now i'm kind of bummed. I guess they found that out AFTER they replaced the fuel pump..? And we don't know how much this relay business is gonna cost. What do ya'll think?

McCain-Palin 2008
Old 07-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Engineer at the source

I think you tell them that it sucks they put a new fuel pump in and pay for the relay.

9.69@151 Street Car
JKOBD
Old 07-13-2004, 05:04 AM
gadget man

no shit if they are a mecanics shop and don't have the sense to troubleshoot the problem properly then it's their fuck up and they should have to eat the cost... I'd tell them to screw themselves on the labor for the pump install since they caused there own problem. a simple volatge reading at the pump connector would have told them the pump wasn't seeing and electricity, takes literally 30 seconds at most. look at the relay that is in the car and if it looks like you just have to unplug it and push the new one in then do it yourself, tell them to piss up a rope and they are lucky you aren't going to charge them for the cost of a new fuel pump since they told you that was the problem and their neglect overlooked a simple voltage check..... if they give any lip mention 8 on your side consumer reports and ask how they would like everyone in the bay area to know they are morons.

Please post the name of this shop here so that we can tell every one we know not to go there.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 07-13-2004, 11:17 PM

It's the Main Relay!!!!! Dealer item, just call my shop, can have one in a few days. PM Me