Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

D16Z6 longblock in a 99 civic EX

Old 07-09-2004, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Z6 longblock in a 99 civic EX

ok heres the deal. my old roomate spun a bearing in his 99 civic EX so he paid me to get a new motor and swap it in. I ended up having to use my Z6 longblock out of my 94 coupe, his transmission, his IM, TB, Fuel rail, injectors, alternator and starter. I hooked everything up, rewired the ground on the obd1 distributor (but not the crank flucuation sensor), I have fuel and spark and the motor turns over sometimes, but it idles crazy and then stalls like it has a vacuum problem (which maybe). so anyways, he brings the car to a mechanic in lake worth, west palm beach area, and the mechanic talks to his friend at TPS , dont know if anyone knows them but they are supposed to specialze in these type of swaps. well he says the swap is a total waste and it would cost thousands to get this running properly because its obd3. let me know what I need to do cus I know its not as hard as he is saying. thanks
-Jason

Old 07-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Retired Ricer...

Ummmmmmm.... OBD3?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OK first of all, NEVER go that mechanic again... Hes a flake... That swap has got to be one of the easiest Ive ever heard..... I reccomend you just swap the heads, just use the z6 block, with his old y8 head and distributor, injectors alternator, everything, and call it a day.... no need to do a complete swap, just switch blocks, or if you must leave the z6 in, check all wiring, be sure to use the proper distributor, and just go over all wiring, and vaccum routing and check the timing etc... and if you stay with the z6, I reccomend you get a conversion harness (OBDII --> OBDI) and run a P28......

www.facebook.com/chris.storck1
Project WHIPLASH has begun!!!
RacingIntegration.com (813)935-6720
InductionPerformance.com
NS Racing (813)842-5517
Old 07-09-2004, 04:31 PM

thats basically what was done. everything on the head is obd2, besides the head itself. I knew the guy was a jerkoff. its funny how little some mechanics know when they dont have a book or instruction manual in front of them. so anyways, car still throwing codes although cant check cus I lost my manual. can someone tell me how to rewire the crank angle sensor to connect the one on the obd1 distributor to the 99 harness, because a friend said that is most likely messing shit up. any and all feedback is appreciated.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Too Much is ALMOST Enough

+1 on what Chris said. u could have saved some time and wiring headaches if u had just swaped the bottom end. the y8 head and intake manifold are like the type r of d series.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Too Much is ALMOST Enough

to check the codes there will 3 connectors in a green boot thing by the ecu. there will be a big one, a lil one with a 3 prong connector and another one with a 2 prong connector. the 2 prong is the one u want. run a wire from 1 prong to the other and turn on the car but dont start it and count the check engine light flashes. long flashes are 10 and short flashes are 1. example: 3 long and 2 short would be a 32. here is the link to the codes http://www.hybridgarage.com/tech/codes.html
Old 07-10-2004, 09:57 PM

ttt fo some help

Old 07-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Aint Flakin

is there even such thing as OBD-3???? not that ever heard

they answered all the questions already... the thing i can think od is if you have the z6 head and block but the Y8 dizzy that may be why you car stalls out the dizzy are 10* degrees different in stock settings.... make sure timing is correct no teeth are jumped
you may need a cam gear,,,, but swapping the heas like the first reply said would be the easyiest and best thing for you to less time but alittle money on a head gasket...
Old 07-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Dramatic Lemur

This thread hurts my brain.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Cronic
Im not even touching this one....

thats what thelast 10 mechanics told me lol should be able to get it to work in theory. so we'll see. any other advice is appreciated