Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

EGR and Mis-fire Trouble

Old 06-11-2004, 01:44 PM
is not Rotarded anymore!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR and Mis-fire Trouble

Important Information/Story:
My check engine light came on while driving down the road. I get home and check the code. The codes it was throwing was "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Low Lift/High Voltage" and "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Insufficient Flow". Car seems to be running fine except for slightly decreased gas-milage.

Since some certain year Honda/Acura Vehicles WEREN'T passing emissions, the cars have a 14year/150k emissions extension warranty on them...my car being one of them. I call up Ferman Acura and take my car in to get fixed. They put on a NEW EGR Vavle and cleaned out all the carbon build up in the EGR Ports behind the intake manifold.

I get the car back and it is running like SHIT! Its misfiring and stuttering like a bitch... no check engine light yet. I drive it home and after some reading and suggestions from Acura-cl.com, I unplug the vacuum hose comming out of the top of the EGR Valve. BAM, the car runs a hell of a lot better with the vacuum hose off. Check engine light finally comes on with "Mis-Fire in Cylinder 1". I call up Acura the next day and they said they would take a look at it and see if its anything they screwed up on. They can't find anything wrong with their work. They would have to charge me money to diagnois the problem.

Here is the Hose I disconnect:

Alright guys/gals.... what could this problem be?!?! Why would my car misfire and stutter with the EGR hooked up? Anybody willing to help me diagnois/fix this problem?

Things I have checked/glanced over:
1. Vacuum Lines Nearby
2. Electrical Connections Nearby

Misc. info:
*Engine: F22B1
*121,600 miles
*DC Sports 4-2-1 Header
*AEM CAI
*Custom Exhaust

Last edited by aaron1017; 06-11-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Redneck Proud

hmmm. never had that problem doing an egr update. Can you tell if it is a new egr valve? I am thinking they did the port cleaning and put the tube in but forgot to do the valve itself. I will see if i can find anything for you.

Southern Pride not racism
Old 06-11-2004, 01:55 PM
is not Rotarded anymore!

The EGR Valve is definately new! Its a hell of a lot shiny than the one that was on my car, plus they had to order the part since they don't normally stock it.

Thanks for any help in advanced DropCivic.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Redneck Proud

okay give me a second, i am looking at the pic.

okay, sorry i assumed you had a v-6. By the looks of it, kinda hard to tell by the pics but looks like they didn't clean out the ports. The egr ports are under like a little tray on the intake manifold, that or they are freeze caps. I can't tell if somebody has touched them. Do anything on the intake manifold like new or like a socket has been put on them

Southern Pride not racism

Last edited by dropcivic; 06-11-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:59 PM
is not Rotarded anymore!

Let me know if there are any other pics ya want me to get or anything thing else.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:43 PM
is not Rotarded anymore!

I'll take the EGR off tomorrow and see if everything looks clean.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:27 AM
is not Rotarded anymore!

Finally took off the EGR vavle and this is what I see under it... doesn't look like they cleaned it out AT ALL. That chunk of carbon inside the slimmer looking port is what fell off when I would the shit with my pinky. Think I am gonna call up Ferman Acura....

Also, my car is studdering and fuckin' up without the EGR vacuum hose connected.