Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Polishing a head

Old 02-08-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing a head

If I have this correct, the reason why it's called .port and polish. is the fact that the Intakes are enlarged some and everything is polished up smooth.

And if I'm not mistaken with this... how hard would it to polish a B18A head. I'm going to be getting a 3 angle job done (the vavles need to be reseated so I figure for the extra 50 bucks I'll take a 3 angle instead of the normal) and would like to polish up the intake and exhaust portion of the head.

If there are any websites that people could really help me out with this I'd be much abliged. Unless there's anyone out there that has done this, pm me.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2004, 06:01 PM

Here you go.

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.htm

I recently ported my 8 valve head on my CSX. I recommend ordering the materials from Summit or Jegs. I got my kit from AE and they don't include the cross buffs Here's the parts #
Part No. 260001
MSRP $64.95

Florida Shelby Dodge Auto Club
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Certified since '85

I will be ordereing mine from them as well....nice sig man

TR Hydroponics Abuser #36329
J a s o0o n: i need to get piss ass shit face fuck bag bitch ass drunk god damn
Old 02-08-2004, 08:27 PM

THanks

Florida Shelby Dodge Auto Club
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:54 AM

Do anything you want but do not polish your ports. It will separate your air/fuel mixture. People usually leave it at 80 grits.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Fox297
Do anything you want but do not polish your ports. It will separate your air/fuel mixture. People usually leave it at 80 grits.
When you say "seperate your air/fuel mixture" what do you mean? How do you expect to get any increase in power if it destroys the thing that makes it? or are you just saying that it alters it?
Old 02-09-2004, 10:32 PM

Ever wonder why golf balls has dimples? It's there for a reason, and the reason is to reduce air resistance. When air travels over a polished surface at high speed, it tends to stick to the surface and create a lot of air resistance.

In the case of cylinder ports, the fuel will stick to the polished surface and separate from the air mixture, which is a very bad thing. Port and polish is just a saying back in the old days, nowaday no one polishes the ports anymore. You can polish the exhaust ports, but carbon will builds up over the surface very quickly. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Fox297; 02-09-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:49 AM
Chucking up the Dueces

polishing a head?

the first person i thought of was 92cxhatch?

oops
Aerospace Components
ProFab Performance
R.I automotive
C.R.T transmisions
5.13@145mph
Old 02-10-2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Cronic
I would say don't do it yourself. Period.
What do you base your suggestion on? I've been told by a few people that it's not that difficult. You say that you won't do it yourself, but you don't give reasoning to why you have came up with this idea.

Why should I go spend 300-400 bucks to get my head port and polish my head when I'm pretty much paying money for the work. Where as I can go spend approx. 50 for a kit and spend about 12 - 14 hrs to do it myself, take the extra money and put it towards something else.

I mean, I realized that I could mess up everything... but other then that. Can you give me any real hard evidence to prove that I shouldn't do this. I'm not working on a N/A or a Turbo car (yet) so it's not like I'm doing it to get everything out of the motor. I'm just doing it to get a little more performance from the bolt ons. That, and when I do finally get a turbo kit it's been done to an extent so I only have to get it done better for when I upgrade the kit.

It's just I don't understand where your coming from. Not trying to be rude any... just questioning your motive.