Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Junkyard Engine?

Old 09-10-2003, 03:23 PM
once your bit, your done.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Junkyard Engine?

theres a junkyard by my house and im going to go get some shit on saturday...i was wondering, there are alot of integs and of course they all dont run. but is it worth it to get the motor out of one and fix it (if theres somthing wrong) to put in my crx? i dont know how much itll even cost but what would be a good price for a b18 from a junkyard? id like to have a motor on the side besides the one in my car to work on.... but tell me if you think its a stupid idea or a waste of money. =/
Old 09-10-2003, 03:48 PM
A.D.D. for life

running LS motors (engine only) run about 500-750 in most junk yards. it's hard to say how much a busted motor should run for and how much it's worth to fix. it depends on what's wrong with it and why it's not running anymore. see if you can find out why it died, or figure it out on your own. check the oil. if it's nasty, it was either beaten, or has been sitting a while. if it's milky, then it's probably a blown head gasket or seal. just some quick pointers. good luck.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:57 PM

ill have to check it out....if its one of the old ass integ's that are like hatchbacks, is that motor worth getting? or at least the bottom end?
Old 09-10-2003, 05:06 PM
A.D.D. for life

nope. the 86-89 teggys sucked, but it will drop right into your crx. your call. those old motors might be a little cheaper
Old 09-10-2003, 05:57 PM

but is the power they pack even worth it?
my SOHC VTEC is pretty nice....but is the 86-89 teggy motor better?
Old 09-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Old School

those motors are garbage look for a 1.8 ls
Old 09-10-2003, 06:13 PM
pwns.

for your application, if you cant find a 1.8 dohc non-vtec, stick with the sohc vtec.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:07 PM

Hey saw that you are looking to rebuild a motor..
I have a B18A with head. The bottom end has been cleaned and it is the bare block I aslo have the head that needs work. If you are interested pm me.

Roadtoad
Old 09-10-2003, 08:18 PM

Most junkyards these days warrenty they're products to work.
Before they will sell you a motor most of the time they will run the motor to ensure it works that way you do not come back bitching.

Concerning a bseries into a crx, its a nice investment.
You have to buy mount kits & do some nice amounts of wiring depending on exactly what motor/ecu setup you go with.

I recommend you just stick to the single cam unless you have some goals at the track for you're crx.

There was a nice writeup in a recent hondatuning or import tuner mag, I dont remember exactly which one... It showed a nice bseries (I think an itr motor) motor being dropped in the correct way into a crx..

Anyways good luck w/ what ever you do.

Authorized Dealer & Tuner for: Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, AEM, Crome, Precision Turbo, Omni Power, Walbro, Innovate & more. Dyno Tuning Services, Ecu Chipping, Chipped Ecus, Conversion Harnesses, Widebands, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps, Map Sensors & more.
For more information visit http://www.Phearable.net or call 1-888-236-9831
Old 09-10-2003, 08:23 PM

btw, I forgot to mension that you prolly would need custom axles or aftermarket ones for a bseries into a crx too

Also you don't "HAVE TO" buy a mount kit you could do some cutting & welding... and regardless you're going to have to bash in you're frame a bit for the crank pully to clear.

You could.... cut teggy ls shift linkage & weld it instead of buying a specific shift linkage for bseries into a crx...

But honestly I wouldnt use self fabricated mounts & shift linkage in a daily driver.

Authorized Dealer & Tuner for: Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, AEM, Crome, Precision Turbo, Omni Power, Walbro, Innovate & more. Dyno Tuning Services, Ecu Chipping, Chipped Ecus, Conversion Harnesses, Widebands, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps, Map Sensors & more.
For more information visit http://www.Phearable.net or call 1-888-236-9831