Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Cracked head?

Old 09-07-2003, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cracked head?

So yeah Im drivin home and we stop at a friends house after i get pulled over, and i hear hissing, so we look, i got rusty water all over the place near my resevior, so i got it home, and this big blazin redneck that works on my car sometimes says i either have a blown head gasket or a cracked head, now i have no idea which one or how he knows that? anyone that can help me out? can i drive my car to and from work if i dont beat on it? i need my transportation
Old 09-07-2003, 12:37 PM
"The Big Show!"

First you should see if the water is mixing in to the oil(check the dipstick for water or remove the valve cover to see if any water beads anywhere.) If water is mixing with the oil DONT DRIVE IT.

Is the water hissing out between the head and block? Is it coming out of the timing belt cover? Give a little more details. Trying to diagnose a car on the internet is just like trying to diagnose whats going wrong with it on the telephone. Have a mechanic LOOK at it. Its hard to tell wether its safe to drive without looking at it.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Professional Asshole

take off the radiator cap when its cold and start it up, if its bubbling than u most likely have a blown head gasket, go to a shop ( would recommend u tow it) and have them do a leak down test, and a compression test.

Aim and Yahoo- Inkedupordie

Old 09-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Powered ByYo Mommas Mouth

sounds like radiator to me, possibly a hairline crack?, i have never heard any engine with a blown gasket to make a hissing sound
Old 09-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Professional Asshole

Originally posted by styles999
sounds like radiator to me, possibly a hairline crack?, i have never heard any engine with a blown gasket to make a hissing sound
there's been stranger things, if its rusty water, chances are ur radiator is cracked prolly from never getting a coolant flush. honda radiators are notorious for a hairline crack along the top b/c its plastic not aluminum.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:58 PM
KJ
bored at work

Honda heads don't crack very often.

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:14 PM

hell yeah its rusty water, and its not coming out of the head or valve cover or anything like that, ill check the dipstick tomorrow. and if its the radiator then anyone got one for sale?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:02 AM

TTT
Old 09-09-2003, 11:11 AM

It definitely sounds like the radiator. I had a hairline crack on the top of mine and it didn't show up unless it was driven hard. It can't be repaired because the top is plastic. Do a pressure test. It sounds like it needs a flush anyway. Check/change the hoses also.