Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

LS/VTEC question

Old 08-10-2003, 03:35 PM
It's a wooden pickle.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/VTEC question

ok... since my b16 block is going to need to be rebuilt in the near future anyways, i'm thinking of just biting the bullet and going ls/vtec. i want to run .25 over ctr pistons on eagle rods, but i think the cr is going to be somewhere around 12:1... is that going to be too much for the stock sleeves? also, what kind of rev-limit can i expect (don't want to be cracking sleeves or putting rods through blocks, etc.)?
Old 08-10-2003, 06:06 PM
KJ
bored at work

Stock Honda pistons are not compatable with eagle rods without modifications. Stock Honda pistons are slip fit with respect to the wrist pin. The wrist pin is held in place because stock Honda rods are press fit to the pin. Eagle rods are also slip fit so the wrist pin will just slide through the piston and into the cylinder wall. After market pistons have retaining rings so this won't happen. In order to run an eagle rod with a stock honda piston the piston has to have the retainer rings machined into it and the wrist pin will also need to be machined to be shorter. So basically it will cost more to machine a honda piston than to just go ahead buy a good wisco piston set.

It is not necessary to run aftermarket rods though. A stock ls rod that has arp rod bolts is plenty strong. Shotpeening wouldn't hurt if the revs are to be above 9k rpm.

12.5:1 is fine on the stock sleeves. CTR pistons will yield about 12.3:1 on an unmilled head. The compression height on the CTR pistons is .030" more than b16a/itr/Ls/gsr pistons which is about the same as the piston to deck height on a normal ls block. So these pistons basically zero deck on the block so you can't mill the block at all or the pistons will be out of the hole. Milling the head is also a bad idea. If you do run the ctr pistons I would clay check the assembly for piece of mind.

A good alternative would be some jdm b16a pistons which can get you around 11.7:1 compression or so and have the same compression height as a ls piston.

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:15 PM
i stepped on my weiner!

i 2nd the fact tha eagle rods dont work well with factory pistons, my buddies sounded like someone left 4 steel balls in his cylinders, it was a nightmare, just use LS's

10.02@149.5 Bullseye Power Turbos
Top Dead Center Performance
Mobile Alabama 251 661 6067
owner/operator
www.tdcperformance.net
Old 08-10-2003, 08:54 PM

endyn rollerwaves on eagle rods sounds good to me
Old 08-10-2003, 09:37 PM
engine building &best

WOW Kj impressive I give mad Ups to you sir,THat is Very good Info,And to you saggleman
that is a Very good Way to go All my LsVTECs i build Are done This way ,I most Just Use P73 Pistons mods,ANd of course i Use what you all Down A block Guard With a Ported b16 Head Getting about 9200-10K

175+served in engines built from minime to gsr/lsvtec,b16 b20vtec,d15 k24 powerhouses or just rebuilds.life is good
i like when people don't take my advice.cause then i make more money when u need it rebuild the right way!

how many speed holes do i need in my bumper,b4 i can run 15's?
Old 08-10-2003, 10:10 PM
engine building &best

well i have never had one problem with the 16 engines i have built ALL but 3 useing block guards,only problem i have learned is making sure it is ONLY welded to place FOr none movement

175+served in engines built from minime to gsr/lsvtec,b16 b20vtec,d15 k24 powerhouses or just rebuilds.life is good
i like when people don't take my advice.cause then i make more money when u need it rebuild the right way!

Old 08-10-2003, 10:38 PM
It's a wooden pickle.

Originally posted by Vapor
get ARP rod bolts, get stock rods balanced, Endyn pistons, balance the crank, and you're good to go. Block guard is not recommended for n/a or any block for that matter
Endyn pistons = all kinds of expensive... was thinking more along the lines of maybe some itr's, but i suppose if i'm going to build it, it should be done right... problem is i have a very limited budget as this is going to have to be built, broken in, and hondata'd by the time classes start... that may also be a completely unrealistic goal, but we'll see how that works out. can anybody get a price on endyn pistons?
Old 08-10-2003, 10:43 PM
engine building &best

damn your right on those pistons cheappest set i have bought Was 620bucks