Guns & Ammo Guns, Ammo, Knives, Weapons.. etc..

If your firearms get wet

Old 09-16-2017, 02:09 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default If your firearms get wet

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 421"]Picking up the Pieces
BY TIM SCHMIDT - USCCA FOUNDER[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] [TABLE="align: right"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
In the wake of massive destruction and flooding in both Texas and Florida following Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, it's no surprise that we've received a lot of questions here at the USCCA about what to do if you're unable to bring all your guns and ammo with you as you make your way to safety ... only to come home and find things in pretty bad — and wet — shape.

I asked Concealed Carry Magazine Associate Editor Ed Combs to lend his expertise to the topic. As usual, he conveyed some great and timely advice that I thought was worth sharing.

Hurricane or otherwise, what are your options when your guns and ammunition get flooded? Here's what Ed had to say:

Hurricanes and floods — and the chaos they always bring — can serve as stark reminders of why our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment rights are so important. Your firearms allow you to secure your family and your property as you get to safety, and when law enforcement is occupied with other matters, you're often required to do just that.

After the flood waters recede and you're able to return to your home, the scene is often utter devastation. Though you were able to get yourself, your loved ones and your essential supplies out in time, often the rest of your residence and the property therein is soaked … or worse. No firearm or cartridge was designed to spend days — or even minutes — underwater, and, as you put your life back together, it will be imperative that you know how to handle any guns and ammunition that you were able to salvage from a flooded building.

WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO START DRYING OUT GUNS?

As soon as you can, get the firearms disassembled and begin the process of drying them out. Separate metal parts from wood and polymer, and immediately begin soaking any metal components in some kind of penetrating oil. You're not looking to "get them dry" … you're looking to completely coat every metal part of them in oil. Your main goal is to drive out any water that is currently hiding in the mechanism, so you should be more concerned with getting the water out and the oil in than with perfectly detail-stripping the firearm first. Don't forget though: The polymer frames of handguns do contain small steel components, and though you will likely have to replace those small steel components if they're already rusted in place, you still need to get oil up into and through the frames of any autos or revolvers.

Err on the side of oily, and don't be stingy; if you can, submerge the stripped firearm in oil of some kind to really drive out any remaining water.

The aftermath of a disaster like this isn't the time to be overly picky either. Though I would normally never use WD-40 on a firearm, as it can damage the primers in ammunition, if that's the only oil available and I just fished my Smith & Wesson Model 19 out of a flooded basement, you can bet I'll be liberally hosing it down with every dad's favorite fix-all. Again, the first priority is to convert your firearms from "wet" to "oily," and even motor oil is better than nothing for accomplishing that. Everything else can be handled later.

Polymer components usually rebound very easily from being submerged, but wood stocks are not as lucky. Resist the temptation to use a hair dryer or a heat gun on your stocks, as this will almost certainly damage them. Begin the drying process slowly and be prepared to recondition or replace them as they dry.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN AMMUNITION GETS SUBMERGED FOR DAYS ON END?

If ammunition has been submerged for more than a few seconds, it should not be fired. Water getting into the cases could result in unreliability and unsafe pressures (both low and high), so the best course of action is to sell it as damaged ammunition to be broken down into its component parts for reuse or to do so yourself.

The powder and the primer in a centerfire cartridge are unreliable and unsafe after being submerged, but the case (provided it is reloadable) and the projectile are still just fine. Selling or recycling that ammo at a steep loss will be cold comfort, but it will be far better than just dropping it all off at the police department, sheriff's office or fire station to be destroyed.

WHAT IF I GET HOME AND I CAN'T GET MY SAFE OPEN?

If you return to your residence and you are unable to open your safe, your best move will be to contact the manufacturer before doing anything else. If it is a mechanical safe, they will be able to walk you through the steps to best access your firearms without inflicting additional damage on them. If it is an electronic unit, the same applies. Either way, you will quickly find out what the company policy is on flood damage. This is when the fine print of the safe you purchased comes into play, and what you learn might be good news — or bad.

If you decide to start extracting your guns from a safe that simply cannot be opened through conventional means, the key is to go slow. Even an inexpensive Chinese angle grinder or cutoff wheel can get you through the sides or backs of most units, but remember that doing so will bring with it fire hazards from flying sparks and, of course, dangers to eyes, ears and fingers. Whatever you decide to do, proceed with caution … and remember: As with other property damage after a flood, don't lose sight of the fact that property is just that — property. It is only humans that cannot be replaced.

STAY SAFE, GOD BLESS

Floods cause massive disruptions in our lives and can destroy some of the things we hold the most dear, but even my most treasured guns are not as valuable as my loved ones. If you've been affected by any of the horrendous storms that have been flogging the Coastal South of this great nation, we here at the USCCA wish you nothing but the best and are here to answer any gun-related questions you might have.

Stay safe and all my best,

Ed Combs
Associate Editor
Concealed Carry Magazine

As Ed mentioned above, guns and ammo can be replaced; people cannot. Still, it is our sincere hope here at the USCCA that you're able to salvage whatever you can after the worst has passed.

Take Care and Stay Safe,
Tim Schmidt
Publisher - Concealed Carry Report
USCCA Founder

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/