Green Motoring Discussions on Hybrids, getting more MPG, alternative fuels, oil prices, electric vehicles, global warming and anything else Green Motoring related.

just got 45mpg

Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, now... I regularly get 38+ mpg in my Yaris, and my record is 49.9 mpg. I happen to know from personal experience that it is VERY possible to get 28 mpg out of the same car. Does the fact that some people regularly drive in a manner that nets them 28 mpg mean that it's not possible for ME to get 50 mpg? I don't think so.

And, like Freakasis said, if you START with a full tank, you can get an accurate MPG reading with just a half tank. As long as you start with a full tank, and end with a full tank, you're good. Results will be more reliable if you do all of your fill-ups at the same place and in the same manner (always stop filling at the first auto-shut-off), but even at different pumps, you'll be close within a tenth or so.

But, if you really doubt the results, add 2/10ths to his fill-up. 199.6 miles, 4.68 gallons... would be 42.6 mpg. Even if you add the full half-gallon that you mentioned 199.6/4.98=40.08 mpg. Even that is pretty impressive.

If you want to exceed 30 mpg in your Civic, all you need to do is change the way you drive. Or you can accept 30 mpg... that's not so bad. But, don't doubt that 40+ mpg is possible in that car. It is.

If you're still in doubt, Check this list and see how many newer Honda Civics are getting well over 30 mpg. And that's not just a single-tank average, it's over a period of months.

Here's a 2008 Civic, and it's not Zate, averaging 40.9 mpg over 3 months with a best tank of 43.5.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 AM
isuck

Originally Posted by alri0085
I doubt you got even close to 35mpg. not trying to burst your green bubble. the way you measured your mpg is too inaccurate. You can't really tell when the gas tank is half empty. If your off by a half of a gallon your mpg will increase or decrease 4-6 mpgs. You've got the technique to save gas though. While I'm at it, I'd like to call bs on Zate for getting 40mpgs lol. I drive the same car and get 26mpg. Highest I've gotten was 30mpgs highway but 40?
You must have a lead foot then because I can get your MPG with some effort and staying out of boost.

Might want to get that checked.
LOGIC? You seriously want to invoke logic in a conversation about fake hijackings, missiles hitting the pentagon, and bombs planted throughout the world trade center? I thought it was a given that logic was checked at the door when entering one of these threads.

Last edited by P057; 11-07-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Scuderia ALRI

Originally Posted by P057
You must have a lead foot then because I can get your MPG with some effort and staying out of boost.

Might want to get that checked.
It seems possible to get high mpg. I gained 3 mpgs onh my last tank because my ac was never on, so I guess i could get better of a change some minor driving habits.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by alri0085
It seems possible to get high mpg. I gained 3 mpgs onh my last tank because my ac was never on, so I guess i could get better of a change some minor driving habits.
Absolutely! I did a little hypermiling experiment today over about 70 miles on some back roads and verified once again that the Yaris is capable of 50 mpg. (52 on the Scangauge, but probably closer to 50 actual) That's about 38% more than the EPA 36 mpg the car is rated at. That was with the AC on (my wife was with me), but keeping speeds at a max of 55 with very gentle acceleration.

AC is only worth 3-5%. You can easily make 15-20% difference with some simple changes in your driving habits.