Green Motoring Discussions on Hybrids, getting more MPG, alternative fuels, oil prices, electric vehicles, global warming and anything else Green Motoring related.

National speed limit to conserve gas???

Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
back from the dead.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question National speed limit to conserve gas???

National speed limit pushed as gas saver - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An influential Republican senator suggested Thursday that Congress might want to consider reimposing a national speed limit to save gasoline and possibly ease fuel prices.

Sen. John Warner has asked the Energy Department at what speeds vehicles would be most fuel efficient.

Sen. John Warner, R-Virginia, asked Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to look into what speed limit would provide optimum gasoline efficiency given current technology. He said he wants to know if the administration might support efforts in Congress to require a lower speed limit.
Congress in 1974 set a national 55 mph speed limit because of energy shortages caused by the Arab oil embargo. The speed limit was repealed in 1995 when crude oil dipped to $17 a barrel and gasoline cost $1.10 a gallon.
Am I the only person who sees this doing a whole bunch of absolutely nothing????
Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 PM

I agree with you. Nothin but garbage. How would the speed limit effect everyday city driving? doesnt make much of a difference there. Might on hwy driving (?) maybe?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:47 PM
back from the dead.....

Maybe, but I dont know about you... the only time I obey the speed limit is with a cop behind me.... making the max speed limit in the country lower is going to make no one do anything....
Old 07-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Alcoholocaust

Making the max. speed limit lower would result in more tickets being issued, therefore more cops can look like they're doing something and saving the world from the evildoers (speeders).

Cops suck. FTP.

a cat born in an oven isn't a cake
Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel the Truth
Maybe, but I dont know about you... the only time I obey the speed limit is with a cop behind me.... making the max speed limit in the country lower is going to make no one do anything....
yeah it will. now people will be doing 20 under the current speed limit in the left lane pissing me the fuck off!

But seriously, all this will do is increase revenues for the police departments 10 fold. Now when if im doing 80 on a open highway and get pulled over its a 15 over ticket, if it goes to 55, that'd be a 25 over ticket. jail time maybe!

edit: oh go to hell for beating me syn
Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 PM

I have my own speed limit lol. Just keep it under control when i see the police. But for the some, if not most, they would slow down to reduce the risk of a speeding citation. either way, after all is said and done, gas milage is up to the driver regardless of what you car makes factory in prestine/perfect driving conditions.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Alcoholocaust

Originally Posted by Aoshi
edit: oh go to hell for beating me syn
Do not challenge my superior intellect. /sarcasm.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by synthetique
Do not challenge my superior intellect. /sarcasm.
oh go get some head from your bf whose playing WoW.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Alcoholocaust

Originally Posted by Aoshi
oh go get some head from your bf whose playing WoW.
He doesn't play wow, he plays something even gayer, called spacemen vs. itty bitty kittehs. J/k.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 PM

55 was for old 3 speed auto's and 4 speeds witrh 1 to 1 top gears. with OD in just about everything. i would think around 75-80mph would give you the best mpg. you don't want the r's too low or you will lug the motor and use more gas.

my friend just tried early shifting and his milage went down. sweet spot for him was 2500r's.