Green Motoring Discussions on Hybrids, getting more MPG, alternative fuels, oil prices, electric vehicles, global warming and anything else Green Motoring related.

Hybrids VS Renewable & Alternative Fuel Vehicles

Old 07-01-2008, 04:44 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrids VS Renewable & Alternative Fuel Vehicles

If anybody noticed, there are 2 (or even 3 routes) that cars are currently taking.

#1: Renewable Energy: E85
#2: Hybrids: EV, EV/ICE hybrids
#3: Alternative Fuels: Bio-Diesel, Fuel Cell, Steam, etc

I think it's worth noting, that Renewable energy and alternative fuels DO NOT nessecarily increase FUEL ECONOMY. They just provide a method for us to get off of our dependance of oil.

Only #2 MPG is what will help you financially. Everything else is for tree-huggers.

In my view, the route to go to achieve ultimate MPG, is a PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle). It uses electric charge from your home to run the first 30-60 miles,a nd then uses the ICE as a range extender. The regenerative braking of the electric motor provide recharging capacity on a limited basis.

Charles

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 07-01-2008, 05:01 AM
could be worse

I kind of asked the same thing in the other thread but I want to expand on that now. So the way its going, basically your running your first 50-60 miles (maybe more maybe less) on strait electric power. When you run out of electric power then it switches over to be a hybrid like what it is now? or does it switch over and run a strait ICE (im assuming ice means internal combustion engine?) Also, the way the hybrid works now is when you apply the brakes, it somehow recharges the batterys from that, right?

www.generationsofcabinetry.com
Old 07-01-2008, 05:42 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

With the current Prius PHEV conversions (privately done, not by Toyota), they can run Full Electric (EV) until the battery gets to 20% (30-60 miles) and then the car autmatically switches to ICE.

Once in ICE mode, the car will switch back and forth, as it does now between electric and ICE as the regenerative braking will provide some charge to the batteries.

So basically, with a good PHEV, you could drive 30-60 miles per day on a plug-in charge. The average commute is 24.9 miles per day. This means, you would not use Gas for your daily commute, but if you wanted to drive to Atlanta, you could. Obviously, you would get 150+ MPG for the first 30-60 miles, and then the # would drop from there. On a 200 mile trip, you could expect about 75MPG or less. (obviously this is still up and coming so exact numbers are not available.)

I will touch on Rengenerative Braking in it's own thread.

Charles

Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 AM
could be worse

man i want one..

Old 07-01-2008, 05:47 AM
could be worse

I only drive about 20 miles a day, that would mean NO GAS.. mostluy

Old 07-01-2008, 05:54 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

If you had the $$$, you could get one now.

here is a list of aftermarket conversions to convert a Prius into a PHEV. Not cheap...yet

Prius PHEV - EAA-PHEV

Old 07-01-2008, 05:57 AM
could be worse

I wish, i cant even afford the stuff I have now

in the newer prius are they going to be using the li-ion batteries or the same stuff there using now? also, the benifit to the new type of batteries is a longer life correct?

Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Originally Posted by TIM TIM TIM
I wish, i cant even afford the stuff I have now

in the newer prius are they going to be using the li-ion batteries or the same stuff there using now? also, the benifit to the new type of batteries is a longer life correct?
When the 2010 Prius comes out, it might still be NiMH at first, but expect the Li-ION to come out soon afterwards. Li-ION batteries do not have "memory", so you can recharge them liek crazy without having to deplete them first. Li-ION is the same batteries that laptop's use.

NiMH has it's issues, has memory, etc. Major manufacturers are still using them due to 'comfort levels'. Still, they all admit that Li-ION is the next step. The are smaller, more powerful, and have a better lifespan.

Currently, Toyota is the only Major US manf. that is truly utilizing Hybrid technology. GM is selling hybrids, but they aren't the efficient (just look at the MPG differences from ICE and Hybrid models from GM).

Charles

Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 AM
could be worse

yeah i notices most hybrids didnt seem to be worth the money.. Hopefully they come out with a little cooler looking prius that is maybe a tad more sporty looking.. I wont be able to afford one any time soon, but if gas prices keep going where there going, it will be cheaper to pay the payments and not use gas then to drive what i am now.. (once you factor in the maintanance of a 10 year old car)

Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

you missed the civic hybrid, Honda is selling one too, bout the same price as the prius i think.

I'd love a electric car that could cruise at 70 MPH for 50 miles on a charge (providing work would let me charge it.. lol).