GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

Your ultimate Camaro/Firebird street setup?

Old 01-18-2002, 06:47 AM
99ProblemsButABitchAin't1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 97 Z-28 is almost done; probably by mid-02. A few more items to help with traction and consistency like DRs and a shifter and shift light mid to low 13s will satisfy me and this daily driver of mine. I need this car to remain reliable and convenient because I plan on waiting until a few years after the supposed 5th gens come out before I buy my first new car. In the meantime I can use this car to help rebuild my credit. I initially wanted to get my 97 into the 11s on spray with a stock longblock but I realized that all the $$$$ and time I put towards my 97 would make it into a fussy daily driver; no thanks. I figured the money would be put to better use restifying my 81 T/A.

Now onto my ultimate F-bod thats been sitting in my parents driveway for about 6 years:

1981 Turbo Trans Am already equipped with a 75 Pontiac 400 and Richmond Street 5-speed.

Engine:
-balanced and blueprinted Indian Adventures block (displacement and cam to be decided)
-dry sump conversion
-forged pistons and rods; properly prepped Pontiac Nodular crank
-prepped Wenzler Super Chief or Edelbrock Performer heads w/ shaft mounted roller rockers or stud girdle over full roller rockers
-cam gear drive
-custom fuel injection set-up on Edelbrock Victor intake
-MSD crank trigger ignition
-dual 3-inch exhaust with X-pipe cutouts before Borla XR1 race mufflers
-at least 600-700hp N/A

Drivetrain:
-Lakewood blow-proof bellhousing
-hydraulic throwout bearing conversion
-Hays billet flywheel w/ Mcleod dual disk clutch+p.p.
-Richmond Street 5-speed w/ Gears Vendors overdrive unit
-carbonfiber driveshaft
-Moser 12 bolt with 3.70 gears
-complete road race ready 13-inch Baer Claw brakes

Suspension:
-Global West tubular front A-arms
-Koni adjustable race shocks
-factory WS6 or Hotchkiss 2nd gen suspension (whichever is stiffer) w/Energy Suspension urethane bushings
-weld-in subframe connectors

-full roll cage no back seats fiberglass replacement 77-81 hood and trunk lid from U.S.Body.com Recaro race seats Simpson race harness full set of Autometer gauges installed within factory engine-turned dash face and other stuff

=I swear my goal is to one day enter the BluBlocker 100 (formerly Silver State Challenge; they keep changing the name) open road race in Nevada hopefully in the 160-up mph classes after proper driving classes of course.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan
Old 01-18-2002, 08:11 AM

See poncho you aready have a fast ass car. So its smart for you to keep one of them reliable and not problematic. High 12s- low 13s is not that fast. And thats what Ill be running with my setup. There are vettes in that range. M3s nsxs are in the low 13s too. For right now id be happy with a 12.9 trapping at 110mph but that will last only so long. But to get any lower that those times requires a good amount of work to make it reliable. Sure i could put nitrous or change out the heads on it right now. I have the money. But it wouldnt be reliable or it wouldnt be the right step. If i have the heads off I might as well reinforce it with stronger internals and stroke the car while im at it. And if i do that Ill need drag radials or wider tires so i hook up. And if i do that ill need a 9 rear because my 7 1/2 rear might snap.

A never ending process...

96 M6 Arctic White Z28
"SLOW LT1"
Blue 2005 Acura TSX
Old 01-21-2002, 05:30 PM

yeah what he said...
all more the reason

96 M6 Arctic White Z28
"SLOW LT1"
Blue 2005 Acura TSX
Old 01-30-2002, 08:17 AM

Anybody in here run anything other than Stangs Camaros or Birds??? I dont have prob with them but looking for someone with an unorthodox Domestic Tuner.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:02 PM
99ProblemsButABitchAin't1

Grand Nationals and Sy/Tys are as unorthodox as Im willing to go domestic-wise. Sorry. Your Aurora looks sweet though. Maybe if it had a W30 455 Id reconsider.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan
Old 02-02-2002, 04:50 PM
AuH20 in '64

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by ponchoV8
Maybe if it had a W30 455 Id reconsider.
Hell yeah

Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to do whatever Congress deems necessary.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:05 PM

Its actually an Intrigue but thanks man. I am looking to pick-up a LS67 motor (the supercharged version they run in the Grand Prixs). I just need to quit drinking ad eating and sell some plasma before I can afford the full on engine and tranny swap or just get a new job.