GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

cat question

Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
White girls suck;)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat question

Hi I have a 94 caprice and am thinking of removing the cat. Will this throw a code or wear out my 02 sensors, or any problems like that?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:22 AM
I can fix your bullshit

no
Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
El Tee Juan x2.... IDIOT!

all it might do is make your exhaust a little louder.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
PSSHHH x2

and cost you a lot of money.
Brocks megaphone
Spencercycle 10" swingarm
MPS auto shifter
Hays convertible clutch

Yea, that about sums it up...

Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 AM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

doesn't a 94 have rear o2's?

and why would this cost you money?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
El Tee Juan x2.... IDIOT!

Originally Posted by ???
doesn't a 94 have rear o2's?

and why would this cost you money?

he is either being a smartass or referring to how illegal it is do do this on a street driven vehicle where you can potentially be fined to hell and back. one muffler shop quoted me $10,000 + parts and labor to remove the cat and put in a test pipe because thats how much they get fined if caught. there is really nothing to be had in performance gains unless you are running too rich and your welded itself shut like mine did. if thats the case then unbolt the pipe behind the cat then take an 18 inch long punch and hammer to the inside until it is hollow. make sure to clean out all the loose pieces before bolting it back up.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM
PSSHHH x2

Originally Posted by SilverSleeper
he is either being a smartass or referring to how illegal it is do do this on a street driven vehicle where you can potentially be fined to hell and back. one muffler shop quoted me $10,000 + parts and labor to remove the cat and put in a test pipe because thats how much they get fined if caught. there is really nothing to be had in performance gains unless you are running too rich and your welded itself shut like mine did. if thats the case then unbolt the pipe behind the cat then take an 18 inch long punch and hammer to the inside until it is hollow. make sure to clean out all the loose pieces before bolting it back up.
10,000 is a lot lower than i remember, i thought it was in the 20k range nowadays. most places are real nit picky with wording too...its like walking into a head shop and having that big list of words not to say...well a muffler shops list of no-no words has "test pipe" in it.
Brocks megaphone
Spencercycle 10" swingarm
MPS auto shifter
Hays convertible clutch

Yea, that about sums it up...

Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
B4C
Track Star

Rebar, mini sledge, socket set, and shop vac are the required tools. Allow yourself a couple of hrs. Just hollow it out and don't worry about it again. No police officer is going to put your car on the rack, take apart the exhaust, and look in your cat. Your '94 does not have OBDII or after cat O2s, so no SES light. It will make your stock exhaust sound a little louder and better and give you a few hp. There are plenty of shops around that will do the work, but it is not worth the hassle.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
White girls suck;)

the only reason i was asking is because im almost done with welding school and have all the tools to cut the cat out and weld a straight pipe in its place. I was worried that the o2 sensors might throw a bitch fit for some unknown reason. thanx for the input guys. an no i wasnt bein a smart ass lol, there r enough morons on tr for 4 websites
Old 02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
White girls suck;)

dont let my rating fool ya, some grumpy bastard in the ford forum took like 10,000 points off all because I made fun of that ford commercial where the crown vic cops are keeping up with a roach ( rousch ) mustang. however you spell that over priced trim....