GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

Installing Elec Water Pump - LT1

Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 AM
B4C
Track Star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Elec Water Pump - LT1

I am wanting to put an elec water pump on my LT1. Summit has one that is a good bit cheaper than the Mezeire. I have read up on the install a little and want to know who has done it and how they dealt with the cam driven water pump gear. I don't want to remove it because you have to take the cam chain and everything off. Can I just sawzaw the cam gear flush with the front of the motor?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:39 PM
99ProblemsButABitchAin't1

When I had my '97 Z28 the install went easy. Removing the original waterpumps guts to install the electric pump just took a few blows witha hammer. The drive gear on the cam I left alone since it didn't interfere with anything when the waterpump was reinstalled. You will also have to clearance the upper portion of the fan shroud so the electric pump body will fit; easy with a Dremel.

The pain in the ass for me was I had taken the easy route and just wired the pump to a manual switch so that I could run it while the car was off between runs at the track. Unfortunately, I forgot on 3 separate occasions to flip it on while the car was running and boiled the thing over...as in temp gauge all the way to the max. I was lucky I never blew a gasket but I hated bleeding that LT1 cooling system. There are several diagrams on the net on how to wire it to a relay where you can incorporate a manual switch as well as have the pump come on automatically when the car is on, OR you could just wire it to an ignition-on electric source and forget the switch altogether.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan
Old 06-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Mechanical Engineer

yeah, i had a manual switch on my fox for the elec. fan i installed. forgot a couple times also

12V ignition is the way to go

Mechanical Engineer - Naval Surface Warfare Center PCD, Marine Corps. Counter IED Development

USF Formula and Baja racing Alumni/Consultant
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 AM
B4C
Track Star

If the drive gear doesn't have to come out or get cut off, does the entire water pump still have to come off?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:51 AM
B4C
Track Star

I did some more looking and there appears to be no way around removing the water pump completely. Here are the links I found. I will let ya'll know how it goes and if it makes much differece.

CSI Water Pump Installation

Meziere Electric Water Pump Install