GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

swapping f body question

Old 05-31-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question swapping f body question

i have a third gen f body tbi305 5 spd..... i want to throw in a carb'd 350 and eliminate the computer i need to know what all i have to do..... do i need to change fuel pump, ignition, etc... and so on let me know what yall know i am keeping the 5spd tranny i need to know what all i need to change in order to make this work thanks in advace for all the input
Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Has V.I.P in HELL!

well does your 350 have a pump on the block..if so u can remove the other one.its really not that hard to do get u a wireing diegram and connect every thing u want.ir u can call up painless wireing and re do the car and get some weight out of it.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:41 AM
Precision Motorsports

You could do the fuel pump to ways. Directly wire it so it comes on with the key, and put a regulator on it before the carb of like 5-6lbs. Or just put a mechanical pump on the side of the 350 engine. I'd also say get the MSD Pro Billet distributor and 6AL box/coil. That should be the only things major.
Tuned by Precision Motorsports
Old 05-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Pastafarian FOR LIFE!!!!!

JimmyHat would know, hes done this before.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Sphincter Say's What?

There are a few factors you will need to consider. If you would like to go Carb. First, You will need to replace the manifold. Second, you will need a good quality Fuel Pressure Regulator because your in tank fuel pump flows too much PSI. You will need to regulate it down to about 6 PSI. The only problem with doing this is that you will burn up the pump in the tank in a short period of time becasue your not returning equal PSI through the return and you will eventaually go mechanical. If you want to replace the fuel pump with a mechanical pump, you will need to change your cam to allow a fuel pump rod lobe and shaft to pump the mechanical pump. If you go mechanical you CAN use the existing fuel lines and you do not need to drop the tank. the mechanical pump can suck the gas through the electric pump with no problems.

Regulated

Un Regulated

Last edited by JimmyHat; 05-31-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:50 AM

ok so in those pics it is still using the 305 right..... if i get a 350 that is already carb'd i wont need to change the manifold right...... i dont have the 350 yet but it should have a mechanical pump already on it right especially if it came out of like a mid 70's camaro or somethin to that extent... i dont mean to sound stupid i know some bout cars but i havent ever done this b4 and im just tryin to figure out what all its going to take cuz i just dont want that computer..... so what all do i need to make it run when i get it.... i have to do this pump i know im pretty sure that i will have to change the ignition.... what else am i going to have to do to make this car work thankx for the input look forward to more......
Old 06-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Sphincter Say's What?

Going Carb does not mean you have to change your ignition. There 2 seperate things. If you buy a older motor that already has a carb, than more than likely you just need to run the fuel lines over to the fuel pump on the passengers side. To convert your 305 to carb.
Change the manifold (You can use the new manifold on a 350 when you swap)
Get a Fuel Pressure Regulator that allows for fuel return (If your not going Mechanical)
Get the Carb
Get a inline Fuel Filter
Old 06-02-2006, 08:11 AM

well i know that i dont have to change the ignition just because im goin to carb but i thought i would have to change it because in the 92 it has the chip in the key and i thought if i got rid of the computer i would need to change to a different ignition thank you very much for the input looking forward to hearing back from you
Old 06-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Pastafarian FOR LIFE!!!!!

I know who im calling when the Blazer gets that 3fity droped into it.

JimmyHat FTW!!! oh and rep fo yu!
Old 06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Sphincter Say's What?

Originally Posted by Pimpin92camaro
well i know that i dont have to change the ignition just because im goin to carb but i thought i would have to change it because in the 92 it has the chip in the key and i thought if i got rid of the computer i would need to change to a different ignition thank you very much for the input looking forward to hearing back from you
The chip was in the 91's as well. Your right if you do get rid of the computer all together you will need to get a HEI distributor and you would need to have a remote wire for the ignition coil when the key is in the on position. Better to just keep the computer int he car for ignition only.