GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

hidden HP

Old 01-17-2006, 05:04 PM
gadget man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hidden HP

in a 95 lt1 z28 motor, what fairly simple upgrades can be don to unlock the "hidden" hp. I would prefer bolt ons first, then the more indepth stuff without doing a total rebuild. I am thinking the obvious intake and exhaust upgrades to get more air in and more out, a bigger throttle body and an upgraded intake manifold would be easy enough, also headers and dual exhaust. after that though where would I get the best bang for my buck? cam shaft? pulley kit?

thanks
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 01-17-2006, 05:46 PM

i would stay away from the larger tb, until the motor is worked over. same for the intake manifold, unless ou want to go the lt4 route. id do some long tubes, cam, rockers and tuning. if the car has an auto you will see a nice gain buy going to a stall conveter.

and i would also look into some suspension upgrades, since there is no use in making power if you cant use it. sfc's are a must for fbodies, and lca's just about eliminate any wheel hop.

and of course just make sure the car is in good running condition...fluids, belts, hoses, tires...the usual
Old 01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
gadget man

general pm keeps it all runnning nice, that's a given, and of course upgraded plug wires and basically a 40k mile tuneup type of deal. sounds dumb, but coming from imports I have never seen "sfc" I'll feel like a jackass for not realizing the abbreviation but please expand it for me. lca's I got covered, the only time I have to worry about that ( on my honda) is on a disc brake conversion...but atleast I know that one.

what kind of hp can be gained from upgrades you suggest ( minus the lt4 route).

The tranny is the 6 speed, so no converter to play with, but I love a clutch anyway.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 01-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Bolt-On 2v GT

depends on what your budget and goals are honestly

"Does this look like a piece of crap to you? Like them spinnin' tires do you?"

Last edited by myltwon; 01-17-2006 at 07:54 PM.