Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/gm-tech-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc-hummer-pontiac-saturn-tech/)
-   -   LT1 Pro and Cons? (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/gm-tech-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc-hummer-pontiac-saturn-tech/212544-lt1-pro-cons.html)

flsurfkarma 02-13-2005 04:59 PM

LT1 Pro and Cons?

Anyone know of the good and bad of the LT1 setup. Any help will be appreciated.

Rolling Thundah 02-13-2005 05:48 PM

Not sure I fully comprehend your question? Do you mean pro & cons to modding one?

If so here is my .02c:

Pro-relativley cheap to mod, cheap to buy (car), good styling, can be made into very fast cars.

Cons- window motors are trash(just replaced one), Heads need to be ported to flow good, and the awful dreaded opti spark. However they now have a coil conversion that you would find in a ls based motor.

myltwon 02-14-2005 05:52 AM

pros: cheap, great potential, great torque, cheaper mods (in comparison to lsx motors), availablity of OBDI

cons: stock head porting is limited, opti(isn't as bad as everyone says), spark plug access with stock manifolds

Tackleberry 02-14-2005 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Thundah

Cons- window motors are trash(just replaced one)

that has nothing to do with the LT1 Engine...thats just a GM thing

EliteZ 02-14-2005 07:56 AM

I think when they are built up they are badass cars. The first big thing to buy would probably be the 300 dollar programmer(Hypertech). Yes it does cost alot, but boltons should bring you to atleast 390+(??? ) to the rear wheels. That more consists of everything like headers, tb, injectors, cam shaft, TCI Torque, etc. but its all worth it

formula69 02-14-2005 09:03 AM

pros: easy to mod, pretty fast in stock form

cons: shitty rear end, too many sensors and computer things to go wrong, heavy, expensive to mod (compared to SBC or even some ford buildups

willie666 02-14-2005 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Quickdomesticracer
I think when they are built up they are badass cars. The first big thing to buy would probably be the 300 dollar programmer(Hypertech). Yes it does cost alot, but boltons should bring you to atleast 390+(??? ) to the rear wheels. That more consists of everything like headers, tb, injectors, cam shaft, TCI Torque, etc. but its all worth it

I hope you mean 290 to the wheels, with every bolt on imaginable and a 6 speed. You would need a fully built stroker to make close to 400rwp with an LT1. Dont take this as an attack on your post but I'm not a big fan of the programmer, unless your changing the shift points on an auto, and a custom tune is still better and TCI converters are crap compared to the Yank or Vigilante.
Pro's- cheap, pretty fast stock, not immpossible to make fast, like nitrous
Cons- Hard to find low mileage, and the ones that are come near in price to a LS1, your shit outta luck if the motor lets go, I hope you have 3-5k laying around for a rebuild. You will need forced induction to see 11's unless your last name happens to be Lingenfelter.

Half Fast 02-14-2005 09:34 AM

LT1's have pros?

Young,Fablous,&Broke 02-14-2005 09:44 AM

Cons: you will always have people like Half Fast telling you your car sucks.

myltwon 02-14-2005 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by URFUCT
You would need a fully built stroker to make close to 400rwp with an LT1.

there are plenty of n/a LT1s in the 400rwhp range with out diving into the internals. a nice AFR h/c package can net you around there