GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

Wrapping your head(er)...anyone with experience?

Old 10-31-2003, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping your head(er)...anyone with experience?

My last header had a HPC coat and it worked great. However, I can't send out my header this time, so I was wanting to use header wrap. Anyone have any recommendations or are they all the same? The one name that I think I've heard a lot of good things about is Thermo- Tech. Any one had problems with the moisture staying inside and causing rust or any other problems associated with header wrap? The header is stainless steel so I'm not too worry about that. Any advice on the procedure, I seen that using hose clamps is a great way to keep the wraps secured.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:58 AM

There are wraps and jackets...

If anything I would use Jackets because grease and dirt can work its way underneath the wraps.. with the right combo it can start a fire..

You'll never see any factory car come with any kind of wrap. They'll always ahve a heat shield if anything a couple centimeters away from the manifold/header.

What i did with my old stainless steel headers was wrap everything that the headers were close too.. adjusted the fan settings and lowered the thermostat temp so the engine would always run at 170-185 degrees.

96 M6 Arctic White Z28
"SLOW LT1"
Blue 2005 Acura TSX
Old 11-03-2003, 11:57 AM

I've wrapped bike headers quite a few times, and I wrapped my car headers once. I never had a problem with rust and/or water. Do you know how hot they get? Evaporation takes place very quickly on a hot ass header. Let it run for a minute or two when you park it, and any moisture that was there should be gone.
I, myself, am going to coat AND wrap my headers for my T/A when I get them.

I drive way too fast to worry about cancer!!!

I eat Omni GLH-S's for breakfast!!!

Your fish smells like pussy!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:00 PM
S1's MUSCLE RELAXER

i have wrapped my headers. it looks ugly if u ask me. but i got them like that.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:41 PM
The King

Just a note: wet the wrap material before you wrap it on your headers. Most of the wraps contain a fiberglass which gets sturred up when you handle it. The water helps keep the dust down. Also I would wear gloves of some kind.

Mark

www.pcstreetcars.com
Old 11-03-2003, 08:09 PM
umm.........

well the jackets look ghetto and wrap doesnt look that bad if done right besides you aint gonna leave the same wrap on 4 ever its like changing ur oil but on a much larger scale

personally i say wraps i had it on an old F100 of mine a while back

i think any kind will work they all have damn near the same purpose just pick one you like and stick with it