General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Rims being powdercoated

Old 01-30-2003, 01:58 AM
I <3 your mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims being powdercoated

Where here's the deal im thinking about getting my Tantrums powder coated. There is a place called Marchman its a tech school for highschool kids. Im not to sure if i should let them do it or not, see the price is amost free. Its going to be $20 each rim, plus they will mount and balance my tires. I have looked around and its like 100 to 120 a rim. I just had my intake man, fuel rail, and heatshield bead blasted a few days ago and there the ones that did it for free. How bad can someone fuck this up im serious now i mean they will have the teacher hopefully doing most of the work but i would die if they came out fucked up. Have any of you guys heard of powder coating gone bad

Rich

ibeditthestupidsubjectmessagenow
Old 01-30-2003, 06:10 AM

The kids might be good but you never know till you try.

For that money I would let them have a stab at it. If they fuck it up you can always have it blasted off and start over again.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:33 PM
MONEY JACKSON

thats how we do the body work and painting at my school, if something gets fucked up it doesnt leave until its done right, and the people with more experience work on the harder stuff. so i would do it theyll probally come out really clean
Old 01-30-2003, 07:58 PM
I <3 your mom

I guess i will go for it then, thanks for the help
Old 01-30-2003, 08:29 PM
OUCH!!!

I'd recommend against powdercoating the wheels if they are aluminum. It tends to be very tempermental with regards to being heated and cooled from the temperatures required by powder coat. The rate of heating and cooling has to be very slow and preceisly controlled or you will weaken the wheels. The ovens that most powder coat shops use aren't capable of that kind of control and I assume your school doesn't have anything special.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by "MinGreyCobra"

I'd recommend against powdercoating the wheels if they are aluminum. It tends to be very tempermental with regards to being heated and cooled from the temperatures required by powder coat. The rate of heating and cooling has to be very slow and preceisly controlled or you will weaken the wheels. The ovens that most powder coat shops use aren't capable of that kind of control and I assume your school doesn't have anything special.
I would disregard the above statement.

I think Leonard has picked up some sort of anti-powdercoating wives tale ffrom who knows where.

The temp any aluminum object will see during powercoating is a fraction of the temps that even the shittiest aluminum can withstand and were required to manufacture the object in the first place.

The temps used are only hot enough to melt the plastic power that is used. Temperatures that could damage aluminum would incinerate any resin based power coating.

Material engineering pwnes you Leonard.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:20 AM
I <3 your mom

Originally posted by "400HP930"

Originally Posted by MinGreyCobra
I would disregard the above statement.

I think Leonard has picked up some sort of anti-powdercoating wives tale ffrom who knows where.

The temp any aluminum object will see during powercoating is a fraction of the temps that even the shittiest aluminum can withstand and were required to manufacture the object in the first place.

The temps used are only hot enough to melt the plastic power that is used. Temperatures that could damage aluminum would incinerate any resin based power coating.

Material engineering pwnes you Leonard.
yeah i was going to do it anyways but your statement helped push me closer
Old 02-03-2003, 10:28 PM
I <3 your mom

Originally posted by "Mars_302"

damn really $20 a rim to powdercoat? id like to let them take a crack at mine for that price
I know its a great deal, i was pretty happy when he told me that lol. Just look around for the Highschool tech schools and give them a call. If you want to go to the same place as me its on Ridge Road in NPR