General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Have you ever had a cracked wheel/ rim?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever had a cracked wheel/ rim?

I'm just curious how many people here have had a cracked wheel/rim? and if the wheel was powdercoated?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Rey
Banned

If I said yes, now what?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm trying to find out the validity of powder coating weakening the strength of wheels.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Rey
Banned

Ok.....that should have been your thread topic...lol..........

The process of powdercoating with the electric charge / coating application / bake for cure doesnt show a cause for weakening of the wheel. If anything it reinforces it. The casting of the actual wheel is where the strength is located. The material composition and wheel structure are the two factors where the off-brands/bootleg/rotas/sportmaxs/pepboy brands suffer from. Not that in a bad accident a BBS wheel wont suffer a catastrophic faliure but Pot-holes, uneven pavement shouldnt be a reason for a wheel to crack/fracture/break.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Sexist

I had a Forgeline lightweight race wheel that cracked. Forgeline's customer service was unsatisfactory. I eventually got it welded but it was never the same and eventually I had to trash it.

In contrast, I also had a cracked wheel from CCWheel. They sent me four new centerpieces even though only one had cracked. CCWheel's customer service rocks. I am still running those wheels years later. If you're looking for a wheel I strongly suggest ccwheel.com

Neither of those wheels were powdercoated.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Roadkill Vacuum

^+1

I have heard nothing but great things! If I had an extra 4-5k for wheels that's the route I would go.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Sic semper tyrannis

+2 on CCW, I know several people with those wheels
everyone says the same thing;
amazing customer responsiveness, they actually care ALOT about their product
Old 10-06-2011, 05:56 AM

Good to know guys.

Rey the reason that wasn't my topic was because I spent 2 hours last night reading probably 12 different forums and the links they lead me too about the safety and the danger of powder coating. I wanted to start a thread specifically about how many people had wheels/rims that cracked and if they were powdercoated because that way rather than creating yet another thread that had the same debates as every other thread on the internet about this subject, I would instead do what none of them did which was to try to find proof. If proof existed out there the answer would lie with the end consumer.

With that I figured this thread would give a final answer from all end consumers whether they experienced a cracked wheel/rim after having them powdercoated.

Oh, and as for wheels I have a set of used OEM aluminum wheels I bought for my Volvo. They all have curb rash and need to be refinished. So I'm trying to weigh which route is the better route to have them all refinished.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Rey
Banned

no no no its quite alright... I said that because when you posted this, it was right above the "cracked rim" thread and in it you posted the same question. I was merely clarifying to avoid a double post which this actually isnt...

CCW is bad ass....flat out...

Most of the, if not all of the high dollar forged wheels are not powedcoated but forged. IMO its the way to go if you can afford it. Otherwise, you are stuck with the lower quality most likely to break/crack wheels.

I have had wheels powder coated and had zero problems with them because of them being powdercoated. Im going to start offering powdercoating soon in my business once things pick up.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:33 PM
405hp=SLOW

I pay attention to the road and avoid crashing into curbs or deep holes.