General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Are you a "car guy"?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:39 AM
TRs Iron Chef & Party God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you a "car guy"?

I used to think I was...it was very easy to pinhole myself into a category that encompasses such a huge cross section of people...I never even given it a second thought, my answer was always yes...I'm a car guy through and through.

Today I really thought about that question though, and I've come to the conclusion that NO...I'm not a car guy. Let me clarify, in my opinion a true car guy ought to desire, and know things about all things car, from old detroit iron, to the new hybrid, and electric cars. Myself personally, I couldn't care less about any of those...I'm not saying I wouldn't take an old charger daytona if it were given to me, but I don't care if I were a millionaire several times over, nothing would make me want that car (or a number of iconic American bad ass cars)

So this must mean that I'm a domestic hater, and am one of those import only guys...nope, while I do like some import cars, I can't picture myself owning an electric car, or a hybrid...I don't know that there are many imports currently produced that I would love to own, aside from an sti, or an S2K. And I do love the new line of corvettes, and like the pre-throwback-era mustangs...

So clearly I can't be a car guy, because I'm not into it from all angles...I hate the old muscle cars that strive to be "factory original" restorations, hate watching pinks all out because it's just same old boring ass muscle cars with the same setups people have been running since the mid 70s...I'd be more interested if there were more new corvettes, mustangs, and imports...I appreciate, but don't entirely understand the point of, drifting...the car show "scene" makes me yawn, and in general I don't really want to hear whatever mindless psychobabble BS "Car guys" regurgitate from the pages of their favorite auto publication just so that they feel like they know something that I don't (a notion that I never refuted in the first place)

So what am I? Allow me to propose this...I'm a performance guy...if it does what it was either designed, or modified to do well, count me in...everything from the new ford raptor, to the Nissan GTR...from the Factory 5 kit car to the S2000...some of my favorite cars of all time are the 3rd gen RX7, the integra, the 01-03 mustang cobras, corvette c5 Z06, C6Z06, and a multitude of other cars that walk that fine balance between performance, style, and flat out driving experience that sooooo many cars try to find and fail...so, take a look at who you are (regardless of gender) and answer this seemingly simple question...

Are you a "car guy"?

Saggleman: cause lord knows theres nothing i love more than swallowing condoms full of cocaine
Old 09-02-2011, 04:43 AM

I had an epiphany this morning too, but I kept mine to myself.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Blood In Blood Out

Originally Posted by BodyRollin'
I used to think I was...it was very easy to pinhole myself into a category that encompasses such a huge cross section of people...I never even given it a second thought, my answer was always yes...I'm a car guy through and through.

Today I really thought about that question though, and I've come to the conclusion that NO...I'm not a car guy. Let me clarify, in my opinion a true car guy ought to desire, and know things about all things car, from old detroit iron, to the new hybrid, and electric cars. Myself personally, I couldn't care less about any of those...I'm not saying I wouldn't take an old charger daytona if it were given to me, but I don't care if I were a millionaire several times over, nothing would make me want that car (or a number of iconic American bad ass cars)

So this must mean that I'm a domestic hater, and am one of those import only guys...nope, while I do like some import cars, I can't picture myself owning an electric car, or a hybrid...I don't know that there are many imports currently produced that I would love to own, aside from an sti, or an S2K. And I do love the new line of corvettes, and like the pre-throwback-era mustangs...

So clearly I can't be a car guy, because I'm not into it from all angles...I hate the old muscle cars that strive to be "factory original" restorations, hate watching pinks all out because it's just same old boring ass muscle cars with the same setups people have been running since the mid 70s...I'd be more interested if there were more new corvettes, mustangs, and imports...I appreciate, but don't entirely understand the point of, drifting...the car show "scene" makes me yawn, and in general I don't really want to hear whatever mindless psychobabble BS "Car guys" regurgitate from the pages of their favorite auto publication just so that they feel like they know something that I don't (a notion that I never refuted in the first place)

So what am I? Allow me to propose this...I'm a performance guy...if it does what it was either designed, or modified to do well, count me in...everything from the new ford raptor, to the Nissan GTR...from the Factory 5 kit car to the S2000...some of my favorite cars of all time are the 3rd gen RX7, the integra, the 01-03 mustang cobras, corvette c5 Z06, C6Z06, and a multitude of other cars that walk that fine balance between performance, style, and flat out driving experience that sooooo many cars try to find and fail...so, take a look at who you are (regardless of gender) and answer this seemingly simple question...

Are you a "car guy"?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM
awd

I'll give it a shot for a real response here lol but it won't be a novel.

Just because you don't like certain cars like old muscle cars doesn't stop you from being a car guy. Do you love cars? Do you love finding new info on them and fixing them up? Those are just a few questions you can ask yourself and go from there. To ME personally, you are a car guy and everyone has preferences. Even with nerds, some prefer windows and some prefer apple, some both, so just because you like new corvettes and hate hybrids doesn't stop you from being a car guy. I personally hate integras and you like them so it's all preference. Like some people like those p71 crown vics, I hate them so much but I won't go into detail haha but love a E46. All preference.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 AM
lol @ tampa

Originally Posted by BodyRollin'

Are you a "car guy"?
wow now THERES a name i haven't seen in a long time. Shoot me an email john@4over4print.com when you can Chris!

Chris, let me ask you - if domestic auto makers made a GTR clone, or a car comparable to the S2000 or Integra, would you buy it? Thats always been the issue for me. Its not who's making it, it's what they are making. And most domestic auto makers either never build the kind of car that i am interested in buying, or if they do, they never bring it here. None the less, I get kicks from reading about all kinds of cars, from your Mom's Camry, the newest hybrid, even minivans. These aren't cars that I'll ever own, but I do derive enjoyment from learning about how they work. I read every motortrend, car and driver, et al, (mostly) cover to cover.

I may not tinker as much anymore, but i'm born and bred a car guy through and through.

oh and thanks for putting time in for a quality post. You rarely see anything like that around here anymore.

|Full color business cards||flyers||postcards||more|
Old 09-02-2011, 12:10 PM
TRs Iron Chef & Party God

I absolutely would buy (or at least want to buy) a domestic version of the GTR, S2000, or integra, as long as it were executed properly...and yeah John I'll give you a shout.

Saggleman: cause lord knows theres nothing i love more than swallowing condoms full of cocaine
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM
lol wut?

tl:dr
Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered Hater

Hybrid and electric... this is what I think of that:
Gayyyyy! - YouTube

Honda builds go from yay to gay in the matter of a K.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:31 PM

ha ha ha ha
Old 09-03-2011, 04:06 PM
One Big Room Full of...

Originally Posted by Thaking
tl:dr
^ this.

Quick Reply: Are you a "car guy"?