General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

The benefits of stretching tires

Old 02-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Sexist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotarykidd
i just realized... tr is full of shit. who the fuck cares? really? fuck your oppinions.
Brilliant. Everyone keep their opinions to themselves, that'll be interesting. Let's just shut down every forum on the whole fucking world wide internet too. GD fucking genius. You offended? That isn't surpising.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Sexist

Originally Posted by TheRichMan
Regardless of the changes in tire design and construction, stretching tires gives them stiffer sidewalls. That's simple physics. Are the gains as noticeable as back then? Probably not, no. And just like with anything else, if it's taken to the extreme it loses its functionality. A mild stretch is not a bad thing
Define "stretch". A 225/60 is designed for a 6.5" wide rim, it could fit on a 7" rim with "mild stretch" but there would be no benefit over getting the next available size - 225/55 which has a shorter sidewall and subsequently better performance.

The way I see it the only reason to stretch a tire is because you either can't afford the correct size or you're a poser.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered Hater

So much awesomness in replies! Totally agree with modern day tire stretching to be pretty stupid. And seriously if your excuse is the tires are cheaper then you shouldnt own a car. Yes lets put less contact patch to the road, now thats a real benefit right? Its just a total fail. A very slight stretch is ok but people have this idea now days that the crazier the stretch the cooler it is. IB4 butt hurt fitment and stance maricons flame this comment.

Honda builds go from yay to gay in the matter of a K.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 AM
isn't actually rich...

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
Define "stretch". A 225/60 is designed for a 6.5" wide rim, it could fit on a 7" rim with "mild stretch" but there would be no benefit over getting the next available size - 225/55 which has a shorter sidewall and subsequently better performance.

The way I see it the only reason to stretch a tire is because you either can't afford the correct size or you're a poser.
Wait.. you're confusing me lol the next available size is higher than a 225 if goin on a 7" rim. But anyways, people don't run size 60 sidewalls if they're stretching tires, say they're running a 45 and don't want to go any smaller? Using your example, we know a 225/45 is meant for a 6.5" wheel. Put that same 225/45 on a 7" wheel and tell me why it wouldn't have a stiffer sidewall, subsequently increasing the performance. It's not like trying to run a 195/35 on a 10" wheel like some people do...

Old 02-12-2011, 04:20 AM
Sexist

Originally Posted by TheRichMan
Wait.. you're confusing me lol the next available size is higher than a 225 if goin on a 7" rim. But anyways, people don't run size 60 sidewalls if they're stretching tires, say they're running a 45 and don't want to go any smaller? Using your example, we know a 225/45 is meant for a 6.5" wheel. Put that same 225/45 on a 7" wheel and tell me why it wouldn't have a stiffer sidewall, subsequently increasing the performance. It's not like trying to run a 195/35 on a 10" wheel like some people do...
Now YOU'RE confusing ME. LOL

To keep it simple I was sticking with same tire widths within the same 15" diameter - 225/75 to 225/50. The 225/75 is designed for a 6" rim and has a taller sidewall, the 225/50 is designed for a 7" rim and has a shorter and inherently stiffer sidewall - which equates to better performance. Therefore, it really isn't stretching a 225/50 to put it on a 6" rim but it is stretching to put a 225/75 on a 7" rim. Of course, in neither of those cases is there much stretch but I was trying to simplify the image.

Or to try and simplify it more, making the big number (225) bigger is more important to performance than stretching.

As for the 195/35 over a 10", yes that is incredibly stupid and more to the OP's topic than what you and I are discussing.

Last edited by Chuck 98 RT/10; 02-12-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered Hater

Doesnt anyone play forza? Wider tires yo = more grip. Actually treadwear rating and compound is more important than size but given the same tire the wider contact patch will always grip more.

Honda builds go from yay to gay in the matter of a K.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 PM
I race sailboats

Originally Posted by FoxHondaRider
Doesnt anyone play forza? Wider tires yo = more grip. Actually treadwear rating and compound is more important than size but given the same tire the wider contact patch will always grip more.

Thats only true assuming the contact patch begins slipping at the same distance for each given tire.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Old School.

Nope.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM
I <3 USDM

your not going to see this on a race car....

Anyone really interested in going fast on any kind of track (other then snow or something) is going to want the widest tires they can fit on their car. You cant tell me that a stretched 225 on a 10 inch wheel is going to offer more grip then the exact same brand 275 on the same 10 inch wheel.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM
buildin' it

those of us arguing the pros of stretching are saying it is good only in moderation. Obviously, your examples are way past moderation.
I'm talking like dropping down from a 225 to a 215. maybe a 205. We're not talking 2, 3, or more inches of stretch.
Not sure why you insist on bringing it back to some extreme example trying to support your point.
and to your point, you're not going to find that kind of tire on a racecar period. so what's your point?

the idea of some minor stretch (again, dropping from a 225 to a 215/205) is to stiffen the sidewalls eliminating tire flex when rounding corners, while still allowing for decent sidewall height.
grip and handling have a little more to them then just contact patch