General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

p71 info?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p71 info?

I'm considering picking up a P71 here soon so I need to know what to look for when finding one. I know it's most likely going to have 100k+ miles on it so what should I expect from it? Are they pretty reliable even with the high mileage? What kind of mpg do they average? What should I make sure to check other than the basics?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 PM
E & I Certified

Originally Posted by miasma
I'm considering picking up a P71 here soon so I need to know what to look for when finding one. I know it's most likely going to have 100k+ miles on it so what should I expect from it? Are they pretty reliable even with the high mileage? What kind of mpg do they average? What should I make sure to check other than the basics?
Make sure it has an aluminum runner on the front of the intake for the coolant. Otherwise you will be replacing it soon.

Check for leaking valve cover gaskets.

Check under the front pass. carpet for water..

my wifes has 160,000 on it and it is one of the top 3 reliable cars I have owned..

mpg is skeptical... some say 13 some say 24... seriously..

check it for drugs when you get it, I found some in both of mine.

make sure the rear end isn't leaking..

other than that, usual things on a car. .. look for signs of jumping curbs with it, and any body work..

If you don't have one in mind I know a great dealer. shared_pm me and I can get you his info, he doesn't sell crappy auction cars to the public. Only hand picked nice ones.

www.crownvic.net is your new friend.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Not Mad

Originally Posted by 1BADP71
Make sure it has an aluminum runner on the front of the intake for the coolant. Otherwise you will be replacing it soon.
What is this ???
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 PM
E & I Certified

Originally Posted by CoRDiTe
What is this ???
old style is prone to crack and leak antifreeze down the top of the cylinder heads , filling up the spark plug channels with coolant and causing misfires.

either get an '02 vic, or prepare to upgrade to that newer style intake if it hasn't been warrantied on the vehicle yet.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by miasma
You should expect it to be a very reliable vehicle for you, even with high mileage. If I am good, I get about 16mpg in the city. Try and get an 04+, as almost all 01-03's had timing chain tensioner problems. I ignored mine, now I have a motor from an 04. 03+ cars have updated steering, brakes, suspension, and interior. Also, 04+ P71s come with an extra 14 horsepower due to a revised air intake. Expect to replace a couple front end parts... ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar end links etc. from police use. My car is the most reliable car I have ever owned, and surprisingly fun, especially with a few bolt ons. Try not to get a K-9 car, I have heard you can never get the smell out. CVN (posted by 1badp71) has a lot of info. PM me if you have any more questions.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
HONDAMIKE.COM

I love my P71

"THE REAL HONDAMIKE" ASE Master Technician
"Imitation is the highest form of flattery", but clones can get it wrong because we are promoting individuality and being proud of yourself.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I can get a fair price for my bike and pick one up soon!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
E & I Certified

If you go to Royals, tell him you want to take it down I4 for a couple miles and he will let you. He rode along with me and had no problems letting me test it out getting on the ramp.

I only test drove one of the two cars I bought and both turned out to be awesome.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 PM
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

how well would the engine hold up under boost?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
E & I Certified

Originally Posted by Jordan T
how well would the engine hold up under boost?
It's just a standard 4.6 like a mustang has. There are several bolt on applications that are daily reliable. But they cost about as much as the car