General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

My Friends Porsche 911 w/ LS2 swap !!! link to video

Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost pulled the trigger on a 951 (944 turbo) that I planned to drop and LS3 into - but in the end - I really didn't want a 944. But for a track beast for the money not sure you can beat. At least the 944 has a radiator and engine in the same vicinity.

Which has always bugged me about the LS/V8 conversions.

#1 the engine is too long to fit well so you have to fabricate a new engine carrier - modify the tub / structural integrity.

#2 is the cooling. The 911 is designed (at least before 199 to be air cooled - and with minimal frontal area. Which means you either go with dual radiators in front of each wheel - OR you again cut up the tub / relocate the gas tank / front area for adequate cooling.

I see what Todd did (poster's friend) (which I guess is option 3 cooling) and question whether there will be adequate cooling. (and the radiator in the back - up high, negates any weight discount of the LS block) and water weight in the radiator - up high in an already ass heavy car - not the greatest for handling.

now these two are my idea of a cool project(s)

The 1968 Cayman Project - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

PVX build thread: one view from the slope - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

My car slowly getting there
Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Not trying to offend anyone but, since when is swapping in a v8 "different" ?
R.A.P.S member number #0004

Rotaries
Against
Piston
Swaps

Tampa Bay Rotary Owners ClubMember # 5

Originally Posted by Empire
a girl just got identified by an ass pic...

that seriously just happened...

Tr is great.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Mark G

an LS2 mounted RR in a Porsche 911 isn't very common...

g50cab, I really like that car man. I'm not a fan of convertible 911's of that body style and I can't STAND the targa's, imo that's the only roofline those cars should have!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Mark G

And I also don't want to offend anyone. I was just putting in my .02. I would personally never do what the OP did (the engine for one, and I absolutely despise of 993 converted 911's) nevertheless It's turning out great.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Originally Posted by tito_12a
Not trying to offend anyone but, since when is swapping in a v8 "different" ?
Flat 6 vs V8
Oil Cooled vs water cooled
Low center of gravity vs high center of gravity
German vs American
Expensive vs Inexpensive

- Thanks markzeronine getting oil cooling sorted out now (two oil coolers)
Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM

What Im saying is, there have been all sorts of cars that have gotten v8 swaps : hondas, volvos, nissans and even cars that didn't come with piston engines (rx-7). I respect the guy for all the work he's put into this. I guess it's different, as far as porsches go.
R.A.P.S member number #0004

Rotaries
Against
Piston
Swaps

Tampa Bay Rotary Owners ClubMember # 5

Originally Posted by Empire
a girl just got identified by an ass pic...

that seriously just happened...

Tr is great.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 PM
I have O.C.D.

it was not something he planned to do from the get go. he started doing the turbo conversion and when he got right to the end he just thought about the parts costs/upkeep and turned around and sold all the stuff and the motor. my friend is an engineer so he did all the work himself except for the exhaust. he does not track the car it is more like a weekend cruiser.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:39 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Well, he definitely has some skills - nicely put together and I bet it goes.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 PM
crx hatch sedan

ive seen this car before a while ago actually it is no 993/964 this is an older cis model converted to look like a 993, it is a pretty cool and unique car but it just seems like a waste of money to me. is he still having trouble with transmissions holing up to the tourque?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I have O.C.D.

Originally Posted by flatrex
ive seen this car before a while ago actually it is no 993/964 this is an older cis model converted to look like a 993, it is a pretty cool and unique car but it just seems like a waste of money to me. is he still having trouble with transmissions holing up to the tourque?
he has had the car for about 4 years but it has been off the road for over a year now. if you have seen the car a while ago it would not have had the swap and it would not have had trouble holding transmission since the swap was just completed a month ago. but I do see a turbo transmission in the future because we do predict the transmission not holding for very long.

and why do you say it is a waste of money? most cars are not investments. he always wanted a Porsche and he did it his own way. are your Honda's not a waste of money?

Last edited by Jewbu; 08-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.