General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

more boost on slk230

Old 01-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Better known BrownMK3Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more boost on slk230

my 2002 slk230 has a recirculation valve that i am pretty sure it is letting out some of my boost from the factory supercharger. Is there any way to trick this valve so that it wont let out boost?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
has cheezburger

Originally Posted by psi_R170
my 2002 slk230 has a recirculation valve that i am pretty sure it is letting out some of my boost from the factory supercharger. Is there any way to trick this valve so that it wont let out boost?
Id be willing to bet adding just boost would be a bad thing, theres a real good chance of running lean ad doing damage. Get your ECU retuned, there are several reputable companies that do Mercedes...Kleeman is the first that comes to mind, but there are more. A performance tune will add more boost, along with adjusting things like timing, fuel curve, etc to support the boost.

Bottom line...spend the money to do it right, or spend the money to fix it when it breaks.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Better known BrownMK3Kid

Originally Posted by Prowlin_Pasco
Id be willing to bet adding just boost would be a bad thing, theres a real good chance of running lean ad doing damage. Get your ECU retuned, there are several reputable companies that do Mercedes...Kleeman is the first that comes to mind, but there are more. A performance tune will add more boost, along with adjusting things like timing, fuel curve, etc to support the boost.

Bottom line...spend the money to do it right, or spend the money to fix it when it breaks.
ok cuz i took it to vortex motorsports to get a tune but they said they couldnt find a company that did retunes for my model. but i was just askin cuz im sure it can handle more boost. ive heard of people running 10-12psi reliably on stock internals.....
Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
has cheezburger

ok cuz i took it to vortex motorsports to get a tune but they said they couldnt find a company that did retunes for my model. but i was just askin cuz im sure it can handle more boost. ive heard of people running 10-12psi reliably on stock internals.....
Im sure the engine is strong enough, Id be worried about running lean and/or knock damage. Check out Kleeman and Renntech. Both are top notch tuners for Mercedes. You might also be able to find a dyno shop that can do it, but IMO a tried and tested package would be better.

Another good bet would be Mercedes websites, possibly if there is a Mercedes club or shop in the area, or at least in FL. FInd one and ask the people who have been into the cars for a while, they will be able to let you in on the real tips and tricks.

Ive seen a guy here in NPR with a nasty looking and sounding Merc, I think its a CLK 320. Has a large Kleeman badge on it.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Better known BrownMK3Kid

Im sure the engine is strong enough, Id be worried about running lean and/or knock damage. Check out Kleeman and Renntech. Both are top notch tuners for Mercedes. You might also be able to find a dyno shop that can do it, but IMO a tried and tested package would be better.

Another good bet would be Mercedes websites, possibly if there is a Mercedes club or shop in the area, or at least in FL. FInd one and ask the people who have been into the cars for a while, they will be able to let you in on the real tips and tricks.

Ive seen a guy here in NPR with a nasty looking and sounding Merc, I think its a CLK 320. Has a large Kleeman badge on it.
ok, but if it was running lean, wouldnt the ecu adjust to that and fix the air/fuel ratio????
Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 PM
has cheezburger

ok, but if it was running lean, wouldnt the ecu adjust to that and fix the air/fuel ratio????
Possibly...Im not sure of the range the stock ECU has. Some cars can cope with a lot more air, some cant. Best bet would be to find some Mercedes folks who can tell you for sure. With the cost of parts, esp a whole engine for your car, Id be sure of whatever you do before you do it.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Better known BrownMK3Kid

Possibly...Im not sure of the range the stock ECU has. Some cars can cope with a lot more air, some cant. Best bet would be to find some Mercedes folks who can tell you for sure. With the cost of parts, esp a whole engine for your car, Id be sure of whatever you do before you do it.
ok ill try that. but im not really worried bout somethin breaking cuz if somethin breaks i just put everything i did back to stock and send the insurance a $100 dollar deductable and then everything is fixed at the dealer....lol
Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Ruhe in Frieden Pablo

Brabus.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Better known BrownMK3Kid

Originally Posted by nismo
Brabus.
didnt know they did tunes. ill check them out too. thanks