General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Mummy, I crashed the M3 :-/

Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Nordschleife addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea its not like the beefed up M52s what you have as M3 engines
Old 11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Registered Hater

Honda's are built so well my econobox wouldnt have a dent on it! lol I kid, you lightly sit on a Honda fender and it makes a dent. Roll cage FTW. Think of 155MPH and flipping, thats insane and the guy made it out with only a broken arm. BTW I dont think insurance covers you once it hits the track. Maybe someone can clear that up for me.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Nordschleife addict

since the Nordschleife is the only road in Germany on which you have to pay toll fees, you got to have a street legal car if you go for tourist driving.

So that means your car has to be insured, only a few insurance companys here have a clause that you can't go on the Nordschleife with your car.

If you crash there, it will be handeled as an accident on a normal road, police will show up and investigators will trace the accident's course of events

I'm not sure in which way insurance companys cover such incidents because theres a speed limit on the whole track, but your car is insured when you're on it, thats for sure.....its not a race event, you just paid money to drive on a 20,7km long circular country road xD

tbh I'm more careful when I'm on a Nürburgring Grand Prix course track day, because there you don't have any insurance, and if you go off you have to pay 180 € that the tow truck will come and pull you out off the gravel

Last edited by tobibeck80; 11-17-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

I think it was funny that at 150 mph and the MINI was still ahead
Old 11-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Nordschleife addict

it started earlier?

thats how it looks like when you go on the track......and yes thats me in the red BMW

Old 11-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

Originally Posted by tobibeck80
it started earlier?

thats how it looks like when you go on the track......and yes thats me in the red BMW

But an M3 to an R53 MINI? Unless the MINI was the first car, the M3 was the last car, and it was within a minute or two of the takeoff, I wouldn't imagine it takes long to catch up?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Nordschleife addict

Originally Posted by Ink
But an M3 to an R53 MINI? Unless the MINI was the first car, the M3 was the last car, and it was within a minute or two of the takeoff, I wouldn't imagine it takes long to catch up?

there are barriers which you have to open with your RingCard (like a Nürburgring only Credit Card, you can pay everything there with it)....some people need longer than others to hold them to the barrier sensors, probably it was more traffic there that day, after the barriers is a tight pylon chicane to prevent people from taking off like idiots at the start, what costs you also a few seconds until you can floor the car.

The accident happened at the "Tiergarten" section of the Ring, thats right after the "Döttinger Höhe", where the entry is.

its a distance of ~ 750 meters + , a quarter mile has ~400 meters.

It takes my car ~16-17 seconds to get there starting from the pylon chicane with a speed of something around 20-30 km/h and an acceleration of 0-62 mph in ~ 7.5 seconds, and I'm not anywhere near 155 mph when I get there lol

so when that M3 was capable of doing 155 mph it must have accelerated realy quick....lets say the Mini was 3 or 4 cars in front of the M3 before both got on the track, it's not realy a problem for the Mini to get there in that time.

here's a good map for orientation

http://www.nordschleife-freaks.de/im...eife_gross.jpg

track starts at "Ticketverkauf Nordschleife & Einfahrt Nordschleife", the accident happened at "Tiergarten", right after the "Bilstein bridge" (Antoniusbrücke).

Last edited by tobibeck80; 11-17-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:58 PM
back in a 4g63

Originally Posted by tobibeck80
The accident happened at the "Tiergarten" section of the Ring, thats right after the "Döttinger Höhe", where the entry is.......

track starts at "Ticketverkauf Nordschleife & Einfahrt Nordschleife", the accident happened at "Tiergarten", right after the "Bilstein bridge" (Antoniusbrücke).
why dont you germans come up with real names kidding of course

so what is the speed limit on the course?

"All I can tell you is... the gun had an owner, something happened, and suddenly the gun didnt have an owner anymore."
Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Nordschleife addict

62 mph (100 kmh) is the general speed limit on country roads (in city areas its 50 kmh, Autobahn and Bundesstraße it depends, can be everything from 60 kmh up to no limitation)

at some parts of the ring the limit is 50 or 70, you can see the signs i.e. when you drive through the village "Mauspath", check on the map, play Forza or GT or NFS Shift, the signs are in the games.....Numbers on white ground with a red ring.

nobody cares about them and its tolerated by the police because theres no upcoming traffic, fences everywhere (you can see the FIA fence on the pic in my sig) and the times you can go on the track are scheduled.....long opening times are only at the weekends or holidays, in winter time they usually are a little longer because theres not so much traffic and most roadworks on the track are completed

Nürburgring* - *All events

Nürburgring* - *Home

Last edited by tobibeck80; 11-17-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:41 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

I think its hilarious that a race track, especially the world's most difficult and probably most popular one, would have speed limits . It'd be sad if they were actually enforced.

I also cringe at the carnage in this topic but...I guess if you arent crashing, you arent racing hard enough?

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h