General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Dealing with Progressive Ins.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:40 PM
99ProblemsButABitchAin't1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealing with Progressive Ins.

I've had this insurance co for several years now. My rates even just went down. However I've never had a claim with them. Unfortunately today on my way to work along with dropping my daughter off to school over by where her mom lives in Riverview, as I was in the fast lane about 75-80mph, I was alongside a tractor-trailer. I guess I was in his blindspot or something because he cut me off, pulled into my lane and the wheels of his trailer destroyed the rt frontend and rt rear 1/4 panel of my pristine 2002 T/A (61000 miles). I bounced off his wheels and came to a stop on the left shoulder. Nobody was hurt, no one else involved, BUT the truck didn't stop and kept on trucking.

I threw on the spare for my blown rt rear tire and drove her home after the FHP wrote me up a report. Upon inspection at my house, the upper frame rail is bent up and shock tower is canted inward, alignment is shot, as well as all the cosmetic stuff from the hood, headlight, fender, etc. are damaged. I took it to Carsmetics for a ballpark estimate and they said it's close to being totalled.

Now my issue is this car is toast. Even if they repair it it won't be the same in my mind. If it was just cosmetic damage, I could live with it, but the frame is bent up as well. Basically I don't want this car anymore. Is there a way to reason with these guys and have them total this car? I don't wanna scam them, but perhaps I can tell the adjuster on Monday that I really don't want this heap? I'm going thru their "concierge" service where they do everything for you from delivering it to the shop to getting you a rental. I have the option of picking my own bodyshop, should I? So anyone ever deal with Progressive? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan
Old 09-18-2009, 03:44 PM
FL,..gods waiting room!!

well since i work for progressive let me ask you. what kind of quote did the body shop give you. secondly whats blue book value on this. If the body shop said its alsmost totalled you have your answer there. how long have you been with PG if you have been with them at least 4 straight years you might have accident forgivenesss which will save you a couple of 100 a year. Although im not an adjuster. if the repair is near the cost of the ACV then theres ahigh change it would be totalled a pic would help too. can you post one?

Also if you point out the shock tower part that might help. its a safety issue.

Last edited by TrboANTsi; 09-18-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 PM
99ProblemsButABitchAin't1

Carsmetics punched some stuff in their computer, using GM parts from what he could see externally he said it was around $4-5K alone, not including labor, paint, frame pulling. I don't know what source Progressive uses to assess value, but according to KBB online, "private party value" is $11055 for a non-WS6 2002 Trans Am with 61K miles in "good" condition. "Suggested retail value" is $13880. Thanks Trbo.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan

Last edited by ponchoV8; 09-18-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:53 PM
FL,..gods waiting room!!

hmm.. you better pray they see it as frame damage, because i regularly check up when helping customers ive seen the pay out be right between private and retail to be honest, and at 4-5 k that might still make them want to fix it. so if the shock tower is bad enough that might be your only hope, but see how it goes.good luck
Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 PM

4-5k in parts plus 2k+labor and 2k+ paint...i'd say thats prolly a totaled car..

R.I.P - Tim Aldrich (Osama Tim Laden)

Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 AM
previously SLOWBOOST

pm sabotage . used to be a progressive claims adjuster. most of the time, theyll work with you and find every little thing if you really want to total it out.

FOR A WOUNDED MAN SHALL SAY TO HIS ASSAILANT
'IF I LIVE, I WILL KILL YOU. IF I DIE, YOU ARE FORGIVEN'
SUCH IS THE RULE OF HONOUR.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:13 AM
E & I Certified

Originally Posted by DEATH ZEPPELIN
pm sabotage . used to be a progressive claims adjuster. most of the time, theyll work with you and find every little thing if you really want to total it out.
+1 . I did collision work for 3 years. They can make it happen if you want.

here is one I am doing right now .. kinda similar situation .

Old 09-20-2009, 02:58 PM
slash

progressive uses whats closest to nada value..... the nada online is only updated quarterly though where the progressive systems are updated monthly for accuracy, but it shouldnt be too far off. id have to see pics but sounds like its totalled either way.... pull time, cut and trim, labor, ect adds up fast. i was pretty good at killing cars if they were close to a total loss, you can usually find little things that add up fast.
TRick Squad Member #3
VicPrez of IttyBittyTittyCommittee

Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
E & I Certified

pop the airbags if it'll make it cross the line

I didn't tell you that though
Old 09-20-2009, 04:25 PM
slash

yeah, that wouldnt looks suspicious
TRick Squad Member #3