General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

OBD II Diagnostic Tools ..... opinions please !!

Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
E & I Certified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD II Diagnostic Tools ..... opinions please !!

whats the best bang for your buck ?

I've looked at actron , and deals that hook up to your laptop via usb. ..

If I could get something to read both ford and dodge, that would be better. .. not that I am questioning the reliability of my vehicles

- Yes I know every auto store reads them for free... I just can't live another day without these fabulous inventions in my toolbox though
Old 09-14-2009, 04:51 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

It would be an excellent long term investment to get one thats better than the bare minimum readers. They never tell the whole story of whats wrong like the readers at the dealership do. BMW has their own program and hardware called the "GT one," but I think GM just uses the "Genesis" generic testers. They're pretty sweet, show real time graphs, etc., but very expensive.

I havent used anything else, so I cant comment. I dont know what Ford and Dodge do for their scanners.

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 09-14-2009, 05:44 PM
E & I Certified

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
It would be an excellent long term investment to get one thats better than the bare minimum readers. They never tell the whole story of whats wrong like the readers at the dealership do. BMW has their own program and hardware called the "GT one," but I think GM just uses the "Genesis" generic testers. They're pretty sweet, show real time graphs, etc., but very expensive.

I havent used anything else, so I cant comment. I dont know what Ford and Dodge do for their scanners.
I don't want a cheap one that has two flashing lights on it. lol.. I'm liking the ones that use a usb cord and software for your pc... just wondering if anybody had experience with readers in the ford / dodge category and could steer me towards a decent setup.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:47 PM
E & I Certified

something like this ...

OBDCOM Diagnostic Systems for ALL vehicles
Old 09-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Race Photographer

Miller Tools DBR III Scan Tool CH6020A-AM

SPX Miller Tools StarMobile Date Recorder

Miller Tools StarSCAN Essential Kit CH9400-AM

these are the ones we use at the dodge dealership. We had a cheap $600 auto-xray scanner at the last shop I worked at. it read OBD1 Domestics as well OBD2 domestics and imports. the only thing I could not read was abs and air bags, and specific manufacter codes that required a much more expensive scanner. Snap On is a popular setup, plus if you get it off a tool truck, you could make payments on it

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Last edited by Mars_302; 09-14-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Race Photographer

Originally Posted by 1BADP71
looks like that one doesnt do ABS or airbag codes. probably wont tell you a lot of tranny codes as well. seems more like a cheap engine scanner and thats it.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 PM
E & I Certified

Originally Posted by Mars_302
looks like that one doesnt do ABS or airbag codes. probably wont tell you a lot of tranny codes as well. seems more like a cheap engine scanner and thats it.
ABS and Airbag codes will throw a light and be unreadable.. those are two things I should go to the dealer for.

Obviously I don't have $3k+ to throw down on a scanner..I just want something to read the codes, and be able to clear them after I fix the issues.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM
pfft.....

i have something called VAG-COM that is VW/Audi specific but it also scans anything that has a OBDII port. I have never used it on anything but a VW/Audi. it scans everything from engine codes, tranny codes, finds electical problems, airbags, and ABS. You can make changes to the system like to turn off beeps and lights to changing what happens when you press certain buttons on the remote. I recently used it to make my car roll down the windows and open the sunroof when i hold the unlock key for 5 seconds.

the software is free from Ross Tech but the cable is about 150 bucks.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:12 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Were you driving a green VW at an Auto Cafe/Cars and Coffee a couple months ago? Did we talk?-Bob
Originally Posted by Garrett
i have something called VAG-COM that is VW/Audi specific but it also scans anything that has a OBDII port. I have never used it on anything but a VW/Audi. it scans everything from engine codes, tranny codes, finds electical problems, airbags, and ABS. You can make changes to the system like to turn off beeps and lights to changing what happens when you press certain buttons on the remote. I recently used it to make my car roll down the windows and open the sunroof when i hold the unlock key for 5 seconds.

the software is free from Ross Tech but the cable is about 150 bucks.

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Turn 7 at Sebring

Matco and Snap-on make real nice scanners but they aren't cheap... in price. Like someone else said, you can make payments if you buy it from the truck.

What's your budget?