General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Silverado beats out F-150 as America's best-selling light-duty pickup

Old 07-09-2009, 03:56 AM
Fawkin Skittles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado beats out F-150 as America's best-selling light-duty pickup

Quick – What's the best-selling light-duty pickup truck in America? Did you say the Ford F-150? Not so fast. According to the J.D. Power Information Network (via our friends at PickupTrucks.com), General Motors sold more Chevy Silverado 1500 pickups (119,959 units) in June that Ford sold F-150s (107,778 units), and that's not a fluke.

It seems that the automakers don't actually break out the sales of each pickup line when reporting overall figures, so Ford lumps all F-Series (F-150, F-250, F-350...) sales together when it correctly lays claim to the title of Best-Selling Pickup Line in America. Ford's Super Duty series commands nearly 50-percent of the HD pickup market, which puts the Blue Oval on top of the overall sales race.

Interestingly, all three American automakers picked up full-size pickup market share at the expense of Nissan and especially Toyota, which saw sales of its Tundra plummet from 76,516 units to just 36,106 units in June of 2009 compared to one year ago.
Beyond The Numbers: Full-Size Pickup Year-to-Date Sales - PickupTrucks.com News

Numbers Don't Lie: Silverado beats out F-150 as America's best-selling light-duty pickup

Originally Posted by efficientkiller
none of this really matters at the end of the day...if you really want to know, the true answer is found in research, why post a ignorant thread & call it a debate? this is exactly why TR gets the critizism it does...
Old 07-09-2009, 05:00 AM

Interesting article
Old 07-09-2009, 06:42 AM
E & I Certified

meh... Dodge FTW!

love my manual transfer case and hemi.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Aka Barry Madikiner

People are finally coming to theyre sense's. Chevy has always made a good truck.

I do like the look of some F-150's but would never own one.

"BOUGHT NOT BROKE" Crew Member# Originator

M.A.S.H. FTW!!!!
Marion Ch. Member #003
Old 07-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned

im not surprise, the new chevys are nice
Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Still Addicted to Boost

so if the Silverado is so good, why the hell does GM need GMC to compete with its own self? GMC would have been a smart decision to get rid off.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:36 AM
buildin' it

not a surprise at all... for the people looking to buy a new truck, the Chevy is cheaper...
The ford is a better truck, but when you are buying a truck for a purpose, price is a major factor. But look at how many trucks you see on the road, most of them are fords... older fords, but still fords... Its completely expected that there would be more American trucks sold rather than imports. Toyota used to make a good truck, but they slacked off on quality and it caught up to them. The Nissan truck is one awesome truck, I just couldn't justify spending 40k on a truck.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
lol @ tampa

with GM hemorrhaging and giving things away, I'm not surprised they out sold Ford

|Full color business cards||flyers||postcards||more|
Old 07-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Empire
not a surprise at all... for the people looking to buy a new truck, the Chevy is cheaper...
The ford is a better truck, but when you are buying a truck for a purpose, price is a major factor. But look at how many trucks you see on the road, most of them are fords... older fords, but still fords... Its completely expected that there would be more American trucks sold rather than imports. Toyota used to make a good truck, but they slacked off on quality and it caught up to them. The Nissan truck is one awesome truck, I just couldn't justify spending 40k on a truck.
no toyota makes a good truck not just a good full size truck , the tacoma beats anything the big thre offer.. the interior quality everything is better in the ford the chevy is a good all around truck mpg, quality and purpose. gmc sierra is a step above the chevy nicer interior classier but not quite a luxury , thats what gmc is now. like ford mercury lincoln...
Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 PM

Ford has been and still is considered the best truck. Like empire said, the Chevy currently has Ford beat out on price. With the suckish economy price is starting to play a huge role in a buyers decision. Most buying trucks are businesses such as construction and those businesses are in really hard times. They need reliable base-model trucks at low cost. I have family in the construction business and their vehicles consist of all Fords. They still have an old 1991 F150 that they give to the general helper guy to drive around in. It's odometer has been rolled twice and has probably somewhere in the mid 500,000 miles range... still run's perfect. Granted it has had the regular wear items replaced such as belts, clutch, etc... but you can still drive it and not worry about it breaking down. Toyota makes really nice older smaller pickups, those things go on forever. But I don't see too many older Chevy's driving around still.

Funny thing is, I drive a Dodge.