General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Sticky clutch pedal action?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky clutch pedal action?

So I drive an 03' Lexus Is300 which I just picked up recently (since the loss of my 92 Sc300 to the front end of a drunk driver's f150) and i've been wondering about this since the day i bought it: my clutch pedal tends to sick down towards the floor every time i push it in to shift. All of the gears feel good and the OEM clutch (although nothing when compared to my stage 3 and aluminum flywheel in the feels pretty solid, just the release action will literally stay down on the floor for close to a second say if i was just kicking it in and letting it spring out in neutral, any ideas?

...btw it also makes a squeaking sound when i push the pedal down but you can only hear the squeak from outside or when the windows are down, i can imagine what would have anything to do with the pedal action but just thought i'd throw it in there...
Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
aspiring luder

the IS has a clutch damper in it, that may be what you're feeling, and the creak might be your slave on your clutch fork.

i'd say take your slave off, grease your fork/slave contact point, and then re-bleed your clutch system when you get it back on, but i'd be willing to bet its that damper, we have them on the S, and they're worse on the IS i know. but when i drove an IS i didn't really clutch kick it, so i'm not sure
Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM

haha new cars are so complicated i've been so obsessed with working with my sc or friends 240's that i didn't even remember dampers exist... uhh... yeah im gonna guess you're right; when i get a break from school i'll mess around with the slave and maybe do some research on how i could get rid of the damper system. i picked up the IS to be a 4 door sc300 so I wana make it feel mechanically as close as possible.

thanks and ill get back on this if the problem seems to be anything else.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:00 PM

...wait a minute 240's have clutch dampers don't they? ha i guess it doesn't matter i dont spend time under or driving them anyways...
Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 PM
aspiring luder

most newer clutch cars i would venture a guess have them, wether the owners know it or not. i have one on the prelude, and there is one on the S2000, but neither are as invasive as the IS, like i mentioned. the 240s is probably like the preludes, where it is in-line in the clutch system. whereas the IS and the S2K are built into the clutch master. its pretty simple to do, but i can't find the bypass and my IS buddy isn't on to ask
Old 02-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Still Addicted to Boost

i would say drain and replace fluid and bleed it. maybe get a steel braided clutch line and if all else fails replace master and slave cylinders. sounds more likely to be the slave cylinder.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:00 AM

i was asking around on a Lexus forum and i found a few people looking for the same thing, there is a guy who makes a bypass and is waiting on them to come in, they look pretty cool and aren't too costly but with these kids the main concern is not to mod the car too much so that they don't void their warranty, i got my IS from an auction for really cheap and it has no warranty anyways so I don't really have to worry about. someone told me though that if i bought a 10mm brake line union part from like NAPA i could just completely remove the CDD and it only cost like 6 dollars and 5 extra minutes if changing the fluid so i think im gonna look into that a little more
Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 AM

ohh and i checked the problem with some IS kids and they said it had to be the damper they have the same problem its just a trait of the IS transmission and that i should just change the fluid with something synthetic and if i want bypass the damper, but if i get the money anytime soon overhauling the whole clutch and lines sounds awesome
Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Thread TERRORIST

Squirt some WD40 on it.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 PM

Adjust your floor mat.