General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Need advice...

Old 09-20-2001, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 17...and I just started my job. I make $9.00/hr and i can only get 25 hours during the weekdays...and sometimes 8 hours on saturdays. I have 1 ticket on my record...(Failure to yeild at a 4-way stop causing $2500 in damage to another vehicle). I was wondering if it would you guys think I can afford to buy a car for about $4500(making payments) and also have money left over for some small mods? I am looking for an Accord Civic Hatch or a 92 Eclipse. I am planning on getting the cheapest rates for insurance of course.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:04 AM
whoopdy fucking do!

well it depends on how tight you are with your money----lets put it this way--take everything you had planned doing/getting done--add it all up---then add on $600-- --if you dont pay for anything eles--food--clothes--bills--then you could prolly afford to do small bolt ons but it will take a long time--the worst thing to do with a car is lose interest in it after you have dropped money in it---cuz you lose your ass on it---that can happen easy when its taking all of you money over a long period of time....
Old 09-20-2001, 02:25 PM

Ask your nearest tree fairy.

If I knew then what I know now it would have ruined everything.

Watching as the world proves me right.
AIM - AcmeVW
Old 09-20-2001, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by Tutelary Wican
I am 17...and I just started my job. I make $9.00/hr and i can only get 25 hours during the weekdays...and sometimes 8 hours on saturdays. I have 1 ticket on my record...(Failure to yeild at a 4-way stop causing $2500 in damage to another vehicle). I was wondering if it would you guys think I can afford to buy a car for about $4500(making payments) and also have money left over for some small mods? I am looking for an Accord Civic Hatch or a 92 Eclipse. I am planning on getting the cheapest rates for insurance of course.
I think you can do it but one of the BIG factors is what interest rate you can get on the loan for your car and how much your insurance will run. Just call around and gets quotes BEFORE you buy the car you are looking into buying....
Old 09-20-2001, 03:32 PM
Just Ledoux it!

Buy my car. Save cash on mods.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the advice. I make only $865.00 per month(because of shcool...but sometimes I can add about $150 by working overtime on Saturdays). I am planning on saving for about 3 months to get about $2500 for a downpayment..and expecting to pay $200 per month. That leaves me on average $300 per month with about $200 for gas oil gas treatment etc. I dont want to save up for the car because that will leave me without a car for another 5 months...and if I get a car now I can add about 2 hours to each work day..since I am only working 5 hrs per day...I will be able to work 7...MAYBE 8...and I will be making over $1k per month