General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Paul Newman's life is winding down...

Old 08-26-2008, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paul Newman's life is winding down...

Paul Newman takes last laps at Lime Rock - Autoblog

Paul Newman is known outside the car enthusiast world as an actor that graced the silver screen of the 60s and onward. However, Newman also developed a passion for cars and after filming the movie "Winning" in 1969. Since then he has won numerous races including 2nd place in the 1979 Le Mans race and went on to co-own successful INDY and CHAMP car teams.

Sadly 18 months ago Newman was diagnosed with lung cancer and pronounced that he may not make it through September. So a few weeks ago Lime Rock Park racetrack closed for a day to allow Newman to take his GT1 corvette out for a few hours. Although he may not go for sure in September (who can predict WHEN) its apparent that he may be gone soon and im glad he was able to go enjoy what he loves doing. Newman drove Nissan Z race cars in the last 70s-80s and even starred in commercials for them including ones for the R30 skyline. Nissan even made a special "Paul Newman Version" R30 to commerate him in Japan. Whenever Newman does finally rest his eyes for good it will be a sad day across the world.

Newman R30 skyline ads:
YouTube - Nissan R30 Silhouette Commercial feat Paul Newman

YouTube - 1982/84 NISSAN SKYLINE Ad

YouTube - ‚‚‚ƒ‚ƒ R30 ˆƒƒƒƒ‹ƒƒƒžƒ‰€€SKYLINE

-Shinmei2006

R.I.P - Tim Aldrich (Osama Tim Laden)

Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Haul'n the Family

Paul Newman is quite a man. I've never been much for celebrities and the whole hollywood set, but Newman is a man that defies that convention. I've always said, if I could meet any celebrity , he'd be the one. I never met him, but I did have the chance to tell his daughter that he is one of my heroes.
He will leave behind quite a legacy and has lived thus far a very fruitful life. An accomplished actor, a successful race car driver and team owner, a business man and a philanthropist. He is a man that alwways knew that age was just a number, and most importantly, he was a family man.

Newman has always exhibited class and dignity in all aspects of his life. He is not a celebrity, he is the embodiment of what we should all strive to do as Americans and as human beings. Pursue your passions, strive for success in every endeavor, and always remember to appreciate what you have, and give back to those that have less than you.
He is an ambassador of our automotive culture. If you don't know who he is, do yourself a favor and find out.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:27 PM

yep,pretty soon all the icons of 60s films will be gone.except maybe clint eastwood,that dude is so tough he might live forever.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Rojya Productions

thats cool
Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 AM

I met him at the St. Pete GP back in the 80's, I was working for Goodyear checking tire temps after practice laps, and I did his and his teammates car. He was really nice, and wanted to know right away what the temps were. Then later he invited all of the Goodyear guys to his tent for a after race party. Unfortunatly, his teammate was killed in a crash that day, very sad day, and obviously, there was no party.