General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Facts surrounding the incident of Joe Dono a.ka. SCP_Celica?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facts surrounding the incident of Joe Dono a.ka. SCP_Celica?

**I'm not a stateholder and I don't know JAPWorks or Joe, but read the huge chaos on a different forum... and I'm just posting. I'm trying to remain as neutral as possible**

I was linked to the main thread form OT, but it's grown into personal banter and getting harder to follow, so I'd like to get cliff's on hard facts as well as have a few questions answered by the relevant parties.

Here's my recollection of the incident.

Joe, a 20 year man(apparently an authorized user of the vehicle) brought in a Yellow 2004 Toyota Celica to have some non-repair work performed at a automotive garage JAPWorks operated by Branden and Aaron.

Search is being very difficult for me as it keeps taking me to page 1, no matter what, but I managed to find out that, Joe was initially quoted $4,000 and put down a deposit of $1,200 in cash + a computer importguy1208 reports Joe stated is valued at $800.

importguy1208 reports the man used various persuasive technique to convince the shop to do further work without additional deposits and no further verifications were made by JAPWorks. During the process, he reports the man provided parts, such as turbo kit, high end audio and (what exactly did Joe furnish and what did JAPWorks funish??)

According to Aaron, one of the co-owners of shop, his shop worked on the vehicle for 4 1/2 months and is asking $16,000 for parts, labor and material.

The man appears unwilling to pay/disagreeing with the amount. At this phase, it is discovered that the vehicle is registered to his mother and is financed, with most of equity belonging to the financing credit union.

What was the agreed upon rate or billing arrangement and was Joe completely aware of the rate?

Apparently the vehicle is in possession of JAPWorks in an undisclosed location.
Joe is wanting the possession of his mother's vehicle back.
JAPWorks is demanding the credit union sign over the title to them or write them a check for $16,000 + "storage".
I'm also briefly going over the issue of storage fee. Some suggested charging "whatever you want". This may constitute usury or extortion. Let's say you went to watch a movie, but the lot was full, you parked on a different store's private property hoping you'd get away, but the owner had the car towed. The legal protection would make sure someone won't get away with something like "the cost I charge for trespassing vehicles on my property is $3,000 and that is the amount you will need to pay before you get your car back and you have 30 days to do so before I go through with a lien"

Last edited by PussixD10; 08-19-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
could be worse

all of your questions have been answered. there only charging him 30 a day which is more than reasonable.. Obviosly the shop has a leg to stand on or the car would have been returned to the owner

www.generationsofcabinetry.com
Old 08-18-2008, 01:18 PM

I'm on page 100 or so in the thread. No, I'm not finding the exact answer quite yet. Search is not working well, so if if I find answers to my own questions, I'll change my post.

Last edited by PussixD10; 08-19-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Lucky

I'm glad you made this thread. I made it to the 60th page last week and gave up

Has JapWorks secured an official mechanics lien?

On a side note, JapWorks should be ecstatic should the mother be able to secure a bond and take the vehicle off of their hands. However I doubt she has the assets or the credit to get one secured. This is not like a jail bond that so many people associate with the word bond, it is a Surety Bond. More specifically a Payment Bond with Surety.

Here is why: A Bond for payment of $16K goes to JapWorks. This guarantees that the mother has the ability to pay up and will pay up for what her son did. Should the mother default on the bonded amount of $16K, the bond company pays JapWorks the $16K and then the bond company ruins the mother financially and credit wise. But since they are already behind on the payments on the vehicle, their credit is already trashed and no one on earth will bond them. To bad she had a douche bag son.

Good Luck JapWorks!

~James
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM
I race sailboats

Cliff notes are on the first post of the original thread. Updates can be found on Jap Work's website.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 AM
could be worse

there really hasnt been much updates other than just telling the story.. I guess the paper work takes like 60-90 days (cant remember) to go through.. I believe japworks is taking donations to help pay for the legal costs/lawer.

www.generationsofcabinetry.com
Old 08-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Hates cars...

Wow this is amazing... People care about no one but themselves....

A mechanics lean takes 90 days IIRC. I hope JAPworks gets what they deserve out of this, because we all know this scum bag will get whats coming to him one day.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 AM
infraction king

we only need one thread of this

98 E36 ///M3 Sedan
07 Civic Si Sedan