General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Pre cut window tint?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre cut window tint?

Has anyone experimented with the pre cut window tint kits you can get on ebay? From what I understand..their laser cut to the window specs of your car, basically a big sticker, but applied the same way? How hard would they be to put on? Does anyone know how to put them on and wanna make some $$ or should I just go get them done somewhere?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 PM
fails.....

by the time you bought them, shipped them, then threw a few bucks at someone to do them, you might as well had someone local do it.
Call around and get some quotes, you might be surprised at the result.

as for the kits themselves. I've seen one car come out fantasic, and the other that needed all kinds of tweaking to get to fit right... so it is hit and miss...
Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

Originally Posted by norachelhere
by the time you bought them, shipped them, then threw a few bucks at someone to do them, you might as well had someone local do it.
Call around and get some quotes, you might be surprised at the result.

as for the kits themselves. I've seen one car come out fantasic, and the other that needed all kinds of tweaking to get to fit right... so it is hit and miss...
i think their pretty close, i can always take the door panels off to make it easy, but the 3 companys our dealership use all quoted me pretty expensive..but they come do it while im at the store, lifetime warranty, etc so i might just go with one of those.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 PM
fails.....

lifetime warrenties are nice.

the two ebay pre cuts I've seen have only been on the cars a few months, so there is no telling how well they would actually last...
Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 AM
No really,....it is

almost every tint shop now uses pre cut tint. its tripples their turn around time on tint jobs. i have had 3 cars tinted with precut tint and they all came out perfect and i still have some on the car i drive now.

i just had my girls truck done at divine sounds on dale mabry. for both windows, back window and glare strip was 70 bucks and they had it done in about 2 hours. also used pre cut tint, came out perfect.

as far as install, if you feel comfortable and think you can do it, go for it. go to auto zone or discount and grab a tint install kit. comes with razor(which you shouldnt need) squeegie and some little stuff i cant rememeber. then all you should need a spray bottle with soap and water. (use plenty!)

but the other side of things, if you have any doubts on it or you are a perfectionist, pay a couple extra bucks and have someone else do it. it MIGHT come out to be cheaper anyways, and prob a lot faster. lol in most cases with a warranty.

I got V-TECH AND HEADERS!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

Originally Posted by My Honda Is Slow
almost every tint shop now uses pre cut tint. its tripples their turn around time on tint jobs. i have had 3 cars tinted with precut tint and they all came out perfect and i still have some on the car i drive now.

i just had my girls truck done at divine sounds on dale mabry. for both windows, back window and glare strip was 70 bucks and they had it done in about 2 hours. also used pre cut tint, came out perfect.

as far as install, if you feel comfortable and think you can do it, go for it. go to auto zone or discount and grab a tint install kit. comes with razor(which you shouldnt need) squeegie and some little stuff i cant rememeber. then all you should need a spray bottle with soap and water. (use plenty!)

but the other side of things, if you have any doubts on it or you are a perfectionist, pay a couple extra bucks and have someone else do it. it MIGHT come out to be cheaper anyways, and prob a lot faster. lol in most cases with a warranty.
thanks for the tips/ideas. i was looking into it, i could probably take my door panel off (would take literally 2 minutes) and the blace piece of rubber to stop leaks, and do it that way so i dont really have any problems, could tuck it easy and whatnot. can anyone on here do tint good?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:08 AM

tint is a lil harder to do than it looks....i'd tell you to get it done by a pro. As long as the precut stuff is a decent brand and actually fits i don't see why it would hurt
Old 05-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Just for decoration

"You get what you pay for" probably applies here.

R.I.P. Brian Nichols 02/07/1989-11/24/2008
Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

Originally Posted by JonLGT
"You get what you pay for" probably applies here.
we'll a buddy that used to work in a tint shop told me the materials for all the windows i want done usually runs about $25-$30. The kit im looking at is like $55 bucks