General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Evo 9

Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Evo 9

Sup Guys. I M Thinking About Buying An Evo 9 This Summer. As Far As The Motor Goes There Is No Diffrence From The Base Model To The Mr. The Hp Is All The Sam. If There Are Any Suggestion On Which Model I Should Get Let Me Know. Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM
lol @ tampa

that depends on what you want to do with it

the MR is limited in drag racing by the 6spd, which is not as strong as the 5spd and incorrectly geared for quarter mile (must shift to 5th).

Once you decide whether you want 5 or 6 spd, then its just option packages from there.

|Full color business cards||flyers||postcards||more|
Old 04-22-2008, 07:46 PM
I race sailboats

I woudn't buy one. Consider the problems they have, especially if you're getting one without a warranty. I have seen Evos which have never been launched go through 2 clutches and blow out a transfer case with only 20,000 miles on them.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 PM
www.contour.org

get a regular evo 9 and spend the money you save on making it uniquely yours, because everybody has an EVO.

Maybe not everybody......I am just obsessed with exclusivity.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
11 second club

I have NEVER seen any problems like the one stated above on any low mileage well taken care of evos.There are always going to be a fluke or a lemon no matter what type of car. Get a regular Evo9 and mod it with the money you save
Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
El Puto ©

Originally Posted by John
that depends on what you want to do with it

the MR is limited in drag racing by the 6spd, which is not as strong as the 5spd and incorrectly geared for quarter mile (must shift to 5th).

Once you decide whether you want 5 or 6 spd, then its just option packages from there.
That must mean that there is a difference in fuel economy as well. Any idea on what the EPA between both models is?

The OP might want to consider this if gas mileage is important to them.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Daewoo Frankenstein

I've driven both the EVO IX MR and the standard version (5 speed and 6 speed) I had a bunch of wheel time in the 6 speed as opposed to the 5 speed, and in day to day driving I'd prefer the 6 speed. It's quicker around a track and you get a bit more of a cruising gear for highway drives. Mileage wasn't awful either. ~24 MPG on a drive to Denver. The transmission is also smoother, less weighty somehow. Looks are also a little nicer with the big wheels and "Sonic" arrangement on the roof.

But honestly? Just get the 5-speed. Another gear and a few aero goodies aren't enough to justify the couple of extra K you'll spend. And besides, to all except the trained eye, an Evo is an Evo, and an Evo is sweet.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:38 AM
lol @ tampa

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq!
I woudn't buy one. Consider the problems they have, especially if you're getting one without a warranty. I have seen Evos which have never been launched go through 2 clutches and blow out a transfer case with only 20,000 miles on them.
Conversely you have my car, which has been drag raced, launched countless times, boiled the brake fluid on a road course a few times, and generally neglected it the last year or so. Stock clutch made it to 50k before voluntarily replacing it - that clutch went in another Evo. At 60k the only major repair I have made to the car is replacing the brakes, and the engine is making 50% more power than off the showroom floor. Original transmission, transfer case, driveshaft, diffs, and axles all. Head hasn't even been removed from the car, though I did just replace the timing belt, water pump and balance shaft belt. Car should be in Viper territory as it sits.

Lets put it this way: if you have no concept of self restraint, then don't buy it - or any car.

|Full color business cards||flyers||postcards||more|
Old 04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
isuck

I don't know where the notation that Evo's are common or "all over the road" comes from. I've only seen THREE EVER in person and on the road, and one was John's.

STI's on the other hand....

I'd go for it. whichever model goes for you the best, least expensive, and most mechanically sound. Try to steer clear from cars owned by younger guys and modified vehicles, you're buying their problems along with the car.
LOGIC? You seriously want to invoke logic in a conversation about fake hijackings, missiles hitting the pentagon, and bombs planted throughout the world trade center? I thought it was a given that logic was checked at the door when entering one of these threads.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 PM

evo will probably be my next car when the neon is paid off.