General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

weighting shift knobs...

Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Hates cars...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weighting shift knobs...

Do you all think its worth it? I have a knob that I like, it fits my hand and my style of driving really well. It just doesnt come in a weighted version.

Do you think it will be worth while to add some lead weight to the inside(where your shifter goes)? Or would I just be wasting my time? I can get the lead for free and it wouldnt be a hassle to do, just wondering if its worth my time.

-Mike
Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Race Photographer

not something I ever thoguht of, and I dont think it would matter to me. I dont see the need behind it

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 04-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Hates cars...

Originally Posted by Mars_302
not something I ever thoguht of, and I dont think it would matter to me. I dont see the need behind it
I see some common sense behind that makes it worth while. But want to hear from some people that may of had/have them to see if its really worth it.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Daewoo Frankenstein

I've done it on a cheap eBay knob. The thing was WAY too light to begin with...So I took it apart (a screw held the two halves together) and filled the interior with small lead shot sinkers for fishing. It maybe doubled the weight, but I'm not gonna lie to you it didn't really make too much of a difference when it was finally attached to the shift lever. There simply isn't enough room inside the knob to fill it with enough lead to change the shift characteristics. But it will work!

You also run the risk of getting lead dust on your hands every day you drive. Small exposures can't hurt you, but after a year or two of having it on your hands you can run the risk of blood poisoning, cancer, blindness...or worse! Reproductive harm.

I ended up just buying a RAZO 340 gram shift knob with a LancerShop coupon (regular price is like $34). I'm not sure the material in it, but for it size the thing is HEAVY... now that made a serious difference. It's also a simple sphere and it fits the hand very well. But the outside is just polished and anodized metal... forget about driving on a hot day.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:35 PM
isuck

I wouldn't just because of the type of material it's made of. It'd be a bit difficult to gut out.

Try it out on a cheap, similar knob first if you can!
LOGIC? You seriously want to invoke logic in a conversation about fake hijackings, missiles hitting the pentagon, and bombs planted throughout the world trade center? I thought it was a given that logic was checked at the door when entering one of these threads.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
real recognize real.

doesn't like skunk2 make a weighted shift knob?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:07 PM

I never really understood the logic behind a weighted knob.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Troux
I think its to make shifting easier because the added weight kinda helps the shifter to like fall into gear. Less force would be required on the drivers part.

Originally Posted by BAMF
I would buy an entire swimming pool full of Cocaine.

And I would swim in it.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 AM
isuck

Originally Posted by Troux
Originally Posted by fastisfun
I think its to make shifting easier because the added weight kinda helps the shifter to like fall into gear. Less force would be required on the drivers part.
+1.

The extra weight makes the knob feel much more solid, and thus smoother when shifting. It's kinda like the same reason why you'd prefer a cellphone that feels SOLID, with a little weight to back up the size. No one likes those cheap plasticy phones that are the size of regular phones yet feel hollow.

That's a pretty shitty comparison though, so just read the first sentence.
LOGIC? You seriously want to invoke logic in a conversation about fake hijackings, missiles hitting the pentagon, and bombs planted throughout the world trade center? I thought it was a given that logic was checked at the door when entering one of these threads.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:06 AM
Hates cars...

well, the knob I have is true carbon fiber. the inside is lead based(ass all nice shifters are.

The lead on the inside would be sealed with a plasti-coat( I have like 84 bottles of it). Its the same stuff used on tool handles. That way no risk of exposer to the lead. Then a plastic cap will be added on top of that.

I also have a cheap ass momo knock-off that I my try it with just to see if i like it.

As for being weighted it allows for more of a "throw" vs. a push into each gear. It cuts down the risk of missing a gear due to the weight helping you(unless you just cant drive.)

Thanks for the info and opinions,
-Mike